Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improper bandsaw use - PSA

Improper bandsaw use - PSA

My plan was to cut a piece of a Cherry log to make some signs on the CNC. I cut two pieces before disaster struck and it was all my fault. I'll tell you before you watch this that it isn't pretty but this video is not gory, no blood. But a Laguna 1" Resaw King blade was destroyed in the process. This is my Public Service Announcement for 2017 - don't do what I did.

David

David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Thanks for sharing this David, really glad you got out unhurt (other than your wallet with that blade being destroyed). Probably saved me from doing something stupid in the future, these types of videos tend to stick out in my mind.

Blog Entries
    Glad that you didn't get injured. I spent a good deal of time on a bandsaw as a young kid and ruined my best blade doing something very similar and also scaring myself half to death.

Thank you for posting this up as a reminder to keep our heads in the game.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

It takes a lot of humility to show us your mistake.Im glad it was not a video of you getting hurt.
    It looks like you had a very nice blade and that's a bummer.
    Aj

Another related hazard

That's a good reminder - some people don't know about the hazard of bandsawing unsupported wood.

There is another way to destroy the wood, bandsaw blade, and possibly be seriously injured even when the wood is well secured. Years ago I was cutting a big rectangular block into turning blanks when the wood suddenly broke at a bark inclusion. The chunk went from well supported to unsupported in a fraction of a second. Fortunately only the blade was destroyed and my finger was pinched but not removed. After that experience, I examine each piece of wood carefully for voids, cracks, and inclusions.

JKJ

Thank you David. Very glad you aren't hurt.

Just to maximize my own personal learning here - what would you do now to better secure that log? For example, would you drive a couple screws in from both faces of your sled, would you have sawn a flat down the whole length, would you have not sawn the last 3" of that log, etc?

Thank you,
    Fred

I'm interested in Fred's questions too.

Glad you can still play the guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thank you David. Very glad you aren't hurt.

Just to maximize my own personal learning here - what would you do now to better secure that log? For example, would you drive a couple screws in from both faces of your sled, would you have sawn a flat down the whole length, would you have not sawn the last 3" of that log, etc?

Thank you,
    Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I'm interested in Fred's questions too.

Glad you can still play the guitar!
    Thanks guys! I hate losing the blade (about $200!) but glad I didn't lose a finger or two. Our daughter told one of our grandsons that this bandsaw will cut his finger off. I pointed out that it will cut his finger off at the shoulder. I'm sending them this video so they'll better understand why I don't let them go into the shop unsupervised.

The blade is applying a constant downward force and there was nothing to support the leading portion of the log. It should have been in a V-shaped cradle to support both the leading and trailing surfaces of the log. Because I was not holding it down, and slightly relaxed my grip, the downward force of the blade exceeded the pressure I was using to hold the log in place and spun the log. Once it started spinning it was no longer cutting in the same kerf it had started but rather trying to cut a new kerf but nothing is holding the log in place at this point. Does that help or make sense in the manner I explained it?

Thanks, Matt - I love playing the guitar!

David
    Last edited by David Falkner; 05-22-2017 at 7:58 AM.
    David

Thanks David. Yes, I think I followed you. Would screwing it down to that v-shaped cradle have helped, or not, from what you can tell?

(If you build that cradle, I'd be interested in seeing a post about it with pictures.)

Glad you are safe.
    Fred

Glad there was no injury!

I make cuts like this regularly by screwing a piece of 3/4 ply to the work - in this case I would use a piece about 10 x 20 with the 20"on the table.

I also use a smaller, cheaper blade, usually a 1/2" 4 tooth flex back.

I honestly did not like any part of that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I honestly did not like any part of that video.
    My guitar playing is that bad?
    David

Thanks for that not-so-subtle reminder David!
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

That last part shot from the front makes it look like a finger being thrown off!
    Well I will certainly keep this in mind for the future.
    Sure glad no woodworker was harmed in the making of this movie.
    Should send this to the SPCWW!

Another thank you, David.

As I age, I sometimes wonder how I made it this far intact, followed by a period of thankfulness.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.