Thread: simple neander presents for non-neanders?

simple neander presents for non-neanders?

Dear fellow neander-dudes,

Do you have simple ideas for neander presents for non-neanders?

I recently made some sailboats for some friend's babies, and it was a ton of fun!
    I took some offcuts, planed it, glued some mahogany offcuts, carved it, and finished it in teak oil.
    This got me thinking that there's probably other projects that are relatively fast, easy, and impossible to buy at a shop--thus more valuable.

Any other ideas for very simple presents to share the joys of neandering?

I was thinking of making some whale/fish/bird shaped rattles with port orford cedar and walnut.
    Other ideas would be very welcome too.

-Matt

Blog Entries
    Howdy Matt,

I made a rattle for my son and his wife's first son:

Rattle.jpg

It is made of alder. I didn't realize how much my daughter-in-law valued it until she told me all three of their children played with it. She asked me to carve the three children's names and birth dates on the rattle. I told her my carving skills are not good enough at present to do that.

I have also made wands for many of my grandchildren.

One year I made a bunch of toy train engines:

Zander's Gift 2008-2009.jpg

One year I even made them all some wooden spoons. Candy, my wife, went to visit and took a couple of spoons for the grown ups. The kids loved them and Candy suggested they each get one for Christmas.

Spoons can be very simple or they can have a lot of "extra fancy" work:

Owl Spoon.jpg

One item that is almost a standard gift is boxes. Be they to match a hobby like sewing or a tote for someone who enjoys gardening they always seem welcome. Here is a keepsake box that was made for one of my granddaughters:

Keepsake Box For Jenny.jpg

Here is a post of mine about a Tote Stool:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...466-Tote-Stool

Other members posted other ideas for similar projects. John K Jordan posted some great plans for a small rocking horse in the thread.

Make what you like to make or make something as a challenge to learn a new skill. Someone will love to receive it from you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

OK Mr. Koepke,

How did you make that rattle? I mean, if it is a rattle, then it must be hollow, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    OK Mr. Koepke,

How did you make that rattle? I mean, if it is a rattle, then it must be hollow, right?
    It was done on my lathe. The bulb and handle were made separately. The bulb was then drilled on my drill press to match a tenon on the handle. A few small pieces of gravel were put inside before the bulb and handle were glued together.

Easy peasy,

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-22-2017 at 3:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Matt, please post pictures of the sale boats. I like these little "designer" cutting boards. This past spring, I made a bunch of parts and let each of my kids, a son-in-law, and a boy friend each glue up their own design. Wooden swords are generally a hit as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Baby Rattles.jpg

Rattles fill with shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It was done on my lathe. The bulb and handle were made separately. The bulb was then drilled on my drill press to match a tenon on the handle. A few small pieces of gravel were put inside before the bulb and handle were glued together.

Easy peasy,

jtk
    I really wish I had room for a lathe.... I really like the rattle.