Thread: 'Best method' question

'Best method' question

Hi guys,

I need to cut various shapes of different size and complexity out of some 2mm greyboard but I need the following

1. to stay on the A4 sheet when I lift it out of the laser and into the packaging
    2. be cut enough that they pop out easily

I have got the cut settings ok but due to the different sizes some fall out and some dont so my question is:-

I assume that I need to put tiny links/bridges or whatever you want to call them onto the shapes that are falling out. Is this the best method? I am sure I read something about 'links' on the Trotec manuals but cant find it so will have to do a search tomorrow.

Any help or suggestions would be greatfully recieved.

Cheers,

Graham
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Hi Graham, you are right, "Links" is what you want to use on the Trotec. Go into the settings (the gear) and you'll find the settings for it in there. You can specify how much to reduce the power and how often the tabs occur. Tell is to use tabs "All the time". Then in your material settings, where it shows the Correction and High Quality option boxes, there is a box for Link. Turn that on.

It'll automatically add tabs to everything and it works FANTASTIC for what you are trying to do.

It's one of those things that I laugh about when people say "I don't need Job Control, it doesn't do anything special". Oh yes it does! And this is one of them. Literally, in 20 seconds, you can have tabs on everything that's already drawn. No need to redraw a single thing.

Edit- It's under the Gear, under "Process Options".
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I didn't know that!!!

Of course, even after 10 years, there's more I don't know about Job Control than I know. It's just fantastic operating software.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Likewise Mike,

We are doing repetition work and these things never pop up in our operation. It is educational just reading what others do on daily bases.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Hi Graham, you are right, "Links" is what you want to use on the Trotec. Go into the settings (the gear) and you'll find the settings for it in there. You can specify how much to reduce the power and how often the tabs occur. Tell is to use tabs "All the time". Then in your material settings, where it shows the Correction and High Quality option boxes, there is a box for Link. Turn that on.

It'll automatically add tabs to everything and it works FANTASTIC for what you are trying to do.

It's one of those things that I laugh about when people say "I don't need Job Control, it doesn't do anything special". Oh yes it does! And this is one of them. Literally, in 20 seconds, you can have tabs on everything that's already drawn. No need to redraw a single thing.

Edit- It's under the Gear, under "Process Options".

All sorted, thanks Scott
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    It's one of those things that I laugh about when people say "I don't need Job Control, it doesn't do anything special". Oh yes it does! And this is one of them. Literally, in 20 seconds, you can have tabs on everything that's already drawn. No need to redraw a single thing..
    Just an FYI note to those using Chinese machines and RD Works - RDW also has a very similar - if not identical,- feature called "Bridge" which is under the "Handle" tab - it allows you to choose the tab size and whether you want tabs spaced at a given distance or just use 2,3 or whatever number you want of tabs. I find it works really well.
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carruthers View Post
    Just an FYI note to those using Chinese machines and RD Works - RDW also has a very similar - if not identical,- feature called "Bridge" which is under the "Handle" tab - it allows you to choose the tab size and whether you want tabs spaced at a given distance or just use 2,3 or whatever number you want of tabs. I find it works really well.
    Not sure how RD Works does it, but on the Trotec, for instance, you'd tell it the specs for your tabbing and tell it to run at 90% or 95% power, so when it does the tab, it backs off the power enough to just barely not go through, so it's not skipping an entire cut area to create the tab (unless you tell it zero power). It makes things stick together just enough to be able to touch them and they come out. For certain jobs, we use it quite often.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Not that way with rdworks. It totally changes the processing. It stops at the bridge, and doesn't jump it. It goes to another vector. And when hits another bridge seemingly randomly jumps to the next. Actually kind of crazy watching it process. But it does work.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

thanks a million its great to know that
    Shenhui Laser G570 80W RECI

Adobe CS6, Corel x6 and other bits and all of which I struggle with

I am from the West coast of Ireland thus I chatter a lot

A follow up - is it possible to just set the 'link' settiong so that it only does it on one cut line e.g. only puts the links on the red cut lines and leaves the blue cut line so that the required sheet would just fall out of the larger material sheet size?
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7