Thread: Blackish stain on live edge monkeypod/raintree.

Question Blackish stain on live edge monkeypod/raintree.

I recently found some slabs of monkeypod I plan on using for a few projects including a dining room table. There appears to be some sort of blackish stain in the white sapwood that could be either from some sort of insect or perhaps a fungus? I had hoped it was only a surface issue, and I would be able to plane/sand it away to reveal clean white sapwood that is beautiful in the areas unaffected by this blemish.
    wood1.jpgwood2.jpg
    Is this something I can get out of the wood without hurting/effecting the color of the heartwood? What might have caused this in the first place?

I see 2 choices: embrace the black or cut it off.

Looks like sap stain fungus. If that's what it is, you almost certainly won't be able to plane it off. It probably goes all the way in.

I wonder if a 2-part wood bleach would work in this case, applied carefully to just the sapwood.

JKJ

John,
    this was what i was thinking... may try it with a scrap piece to see how it goes. will post results eventually... i goes slows

Bob, I think you nailed it. i believe it does... planed a bit last night... got nowhere

Brad,
    i think your right. In the words of lord vader, embrace the dark side

May the force (to sand) be with you.

Black is the new white.