Thread: 3 PHASE Question?

3 PHASE Question?

I just replaced my 10HP Kay I. rotary to a 10HP PhasePerfect digital. It powers my 5HP edge sander but won't start my 10HP widebelt?
    All three phase are perfectly balanced and Phase to ground are correct with T3 being the high leg.
    The PP should power up to apx 13 HP according to PP?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Power, or start up to 13hp?

I would suggest starting the edge sander and then try starting the wide belt and see what happens.

The sander's conveyer belt will run but when I hit the belt switch the whole machines dies. Also, my Northfield 16" jointer (5hp) tried to turn over then shut off. It is pretty far from the receptical (25'). It seems like the converter is not producing it's rated HP?
    Does the high leg orientation make that much of a dif?

I would make sure the manufactured leg is not hooked to any of the control circuits in the machines.

Start there and see what happens.

why did you get rid of the Kay?

Great Question Darcy.
    I bought a new Martin T60C tablesaw. Martin recommends digital converters.

Sort of a companion question to Darcy's - Do you still have the Kay? Maybe you need both.

I added a 10hp Kay a few years a go, upgrading from a 7hp system. My 7 hp planer went from slow starting to awesome. The Kay says it will run 20hp but only start 10

If you still have the Kay, maybe it should run most of your stuff and let the digital conv. run the Martin

Something is wrong. I replaced a 10 hp Kay with a 10 hp PP and the PP starts machines faster than the Kay. I have a SCMI WB with a 12 hp motor and have never had an issue with starting. Same for 10 hp shaper. I run the DC on a vfd on a separate circuit. I do not believe I could run the 7.5 hp dc and 12 hp WB at the same time. Dave

I agree Dave.
    Have an electrician coming over tomorrow.

Bradley, doing just that crossed my mind today.
    I was going to post the Kay on Craigslist tonight. I think I'll wait
    Thanks guys for your ideas.

John, years ago I was worried about reliability of PP so I bought a double throw panel off ebay. I run the input to the panel. One side throws back to the PP and the other back to the Kay. The PP has never faltered but the Kay is still there for backup. Dave

this topic was just hashed out in another thread, the solution was what I had suggested, keep the generated leg off any of the controls, control transformers, etc.

When I ran a rpc I always tagged the generated leg with yellow tape.

Now I just wire stuff up, 480v pole power is a wonderful thing, plus the hum of my two big transformers keeps me company.

Hey John ..

What size breaker do you have the PP wired into ? I would assume 50 - 60 amps ?

On the PP .. The manufactured leg is T-3 .. Make sure it ends up on L-3 on the machines. Pretty easy to trace back if your using a 3 phase panel as a distribution point ..