Thread: Can I apply paint over poly

Can I apply paint over poly

I just stripped an old pine door and brushed clear oil based Minwax quick drying poly over the raw pine. Now, I really don't like the result and was wondering if i can just scuff up the oil based poly with 220 grit and then paint over it. Can I use either latex or oil paint over the scuffed poly?

I'd use more like 120 or 150 grit sandpaper, then use a bonding primer. A shellac-based primer would be a good start.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Thanks, Jason. I think you're right on the money. Since it was less than 24 hrs since I applied the poly, even 120 loaded up. I sanded with 80 and that was loading but I finished up taking it back to bare wood without a terrible amount of work. I will lightly resand with 120/220. I called Minwax and they said either take it to bare wood or wait 2-3 weeks to cure before applying a bonding primer. Then I called Zinnser and they said sand it, let it dry for 24 hours since the sanding will simply break the surface and there will be fresh poly that needs to get air, and then apply Zinnser oil primer, which I have.