Thread: My weekends worth of Trivets

My weekends worth of Trivets

These 5 Trivets took a couple of weekends to complete, they're finished with Watco Danish Oil.

I would be interested in your choice of finish and why.

Comments / Critique is welcome.

Tim

IMG_20170522_212302_304.jpgIMG_20170522_212401_022.jpgIMG_20170522_212455_860.jpgIMG_20170522_212544_100.jpgIMG_20170522_212617_342.jpg

That's very nice work Tim. (I like the second one best.)

I like the contrasting textures on the last one. I'd prefer a lighter "background" to increase the color contrast a notch or two - it feels like I have to look harder to see the star.

I admire the fit/finish on all of them. One day I'll learn to do that quality of fitment.

Thanks for posting,
    Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the compliments. The 12 point star is my favorite as well.

I also appreciate your feedback on color selections, each one is a surprise of sorts once the finish is applied.

Thanks,
    Tim Boger
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's very nice work Tim. (I like the second one best.)

I like the contrasting textures on the last one. I'd prefer a lighter "background" to increase the color contrast a notch or two - it feels like I have to look harder to see the star.

I admire the fit/finish on all of them. One day I'll learn to do that quality of fitment.

Thanks for posting,
    Fred

I too especially like that 2nd one , everyone loves the compass rose type stuff! Gives great depth lit up by a bright sun.

Thanks Mel, I do appreciate your feedback.
    Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I too especially like that 2nd one , everyone loves the compass rose type stuff! Gives great depth lit up by a bright sun.

Nice! What kind of woods? What is the yellow? I assume the segments are thick, solid wood instead of veneer, right?

Look out, you asked for comments/critique!

My favorites are #2 followed by perhaps #4. The reason: the contrasts. The dark segments adjacent to the light wood adds a strong visual depth and interest, especially in #2. #5 may look different in person but from the picture the contrast is low between the primary elements, the star and the inner circle, diffusing the geometric impact a bit. Of course, that may be the intent! Part of the visual softening is likely due to the contrast within the figure of the wood in the star as well, also apparent in #1. Some of the elements of #3 are lost, in the photo anyway. The contrast in #4 may be a little too strong for some and but would look striking in some kitchens, depending on the color scheme. I like the corner treatment in #3 (and to a lesser extent #1) which look more comfortable/inviting to me - the square corners on #4 are a bit "hard" for my tastes. The figure in the rim of #2 is striking and the warm color work well together!

Just my own opinions - everyone has some. :-)

I often use "danish" oil on functional things for the house and kitchen.

Are these for sale? I'll buy #2!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    These 5 Trivets took a couple of weekends to complete, they're finished with Watco Danish Oil.
    I would be interested in your choice of finish and why.
    Comments / Critique is welcome.
    Tim

IMG_20170522_212302_304.jpgIMG_20170522_212401_022.jpgIMG_20170522_212455_860.jpgIMG_20170522_212544_100.jpgIMG_20170522_212617_342.jpg

Hey John,

Your questions are inspiring ...thank you for taking the time of share them.

I'm uncertain if the yellow wood is Yellowheart or Osage Orange .... I've always said it was yellowheart. Perhaps the two are the same species just different folks using different names.

The segments are all around 1/4" to 3/8" thick.

I'm going to study your feedback with respect to the different colors I used, next weekend I'll be making more and your opinions may very well be tested.

#1 is Maple, Purpleheart, Yellowheart and Walnut
    #2 is Heavily Spalted Dunnowood, Yellowheart, Well aged White Oak and some very dark Ipe.
    #3 is Maple, Yellowheart, Sapele, Walnut
    #4 Well aged White Oak, Holly, Walnut and Yellowheart
    #5 Maple, Sapele and Walnut

Thanks again for the opportunity to elaborate a bit.

Tim Boger

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nice! What kind of woods? What is the yellow? I assume the segments are thick, solid wood instead of veneer, right?

Look out, you asked for comments/critique!

My favorites are #2 followed by perhaps #4. The reason: the contrasts. The dark segments adjacent to the light wood adds a strong visual depth and interest, especially in #2. #5 may look different in person but from the picture the contrast is low between the primary elements, the star and the inner circle, diffusing the geometric impact a bit. Of course, that may be the intent! Part of the visual softening is likely due to the contrast within the figure of the wood in the star as well, also apparent in #1. Some of the elements of #3 are lost, in the photo anyway. The contrast in #4 may be a little too strong for some and but would look striking in some kitchens, depending on the color scheme. I like the corner treatment in #3 (and to a lesser extent #1) which look more comfortable/inviting to me - the square corners on #4 are a bit "hard" for my tastes. The figure in the rim of #2 is striking and the warm color work well together!

Just my own opinions - everyone has some. :-)

I often use "danish" oil on functional things for the house and kitchen.

Are these for sale? I'll buy #2!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    I'm uncertain if the yellow wood is Yellowheart or Osage Orange .... I've always said it was yellowheart. Perhaps the two are the same species just different folks using different names.
    The Yellowheart I know is quite different from Osage Orange and comes from different parts of the world. Osage is much harder and heavier than Yellowheart. There are some other yellow woods too. Freshly cut Osage Orange is pretty yellow but darkens to brown fairly quickly, especially without a thick finish.

A look at a small shaved section of end grain will instantly tell if it is Osage. Yellowheart is diffuse porous while Osage is strongly ring porous. Osage pores are also filled with sparkly tyloses, easily visible with a lens.

You can see close-up end grain photos of both these species on the Wood Database.

JKJ

The drivers are very nice and I like the second one. Please when you make some more take pictures of the process and jigs you use.

Hey Larry,

I'll take a few pics of my setup when I get back to making more of these, thanks for asking.
    Tim

I can't really see them very well from the pictures. Can you send them to me?

I sell CNC carved trivets. I have found that the most heat and moisture resistant finish is polyurethane. I prefer the look of lacquer if I am certain the item is going to be for decorative purposes only. The same is true of the coasters I make.

Here is what the poly finish looks like.

1-DSC_0501.JPG
    (Click to enlarge)

I couldn't imagine using those beautiful pieces you made to hold up a hot casserole dish!
    Last edited by Art Mann; 05-25-2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: after thought

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I sell CNC carved trivets. I have found that the most heat and moisture resistant finish is polyurethane. I prefer the look of lacquer if I am certain the item is going to be for decorative purposes only. The same is true of the coasters I make.

Here is what the poly finish looks like.

1-DSC_0501.JPG
    (Click to enlarge)

I couldn't imagine using those beautiful pieces you made to hold up a hot casserole dish!
    Hey Art ... great looking trivet, really is amazing the range of patterns a machine can produce. Thanks for sharing your work.

I'm new to trivets and haven't had much feedback with respect to finish durability, much of what I have read suggested avoiding surface types of finish in lieu of penetrating oils.

Tim

I have tested the Minwax spray polyurethane finish with 450 degree casserole dishes right out of the oven. I couldn't find any damage. I have had three such trivets in service at our house now for over a year and they still look pretty good. Grime is more of a problem than finish erosion. I am guessing that the Watco would resist heat just as well but I don't know about constant washing.

The pattern in the picture above is just one of a series of patterns I derived from on line postings of traditional quilt squares.