Thread: I'm looking for the Lie-Nielsen ball bearing adjuster that Henry Eckert used to sell.

Blog Entries

I'm looking for the Lie-Nielsen ball bearing adjuster that Henry Eckert used to sell.

Henry Eckert used to sell a ball bearing adjuster for Lie-Nielsen low angle block planes. I had tried a while back to order and their site wouldn't allow shipping to me. I tried calling and they didn't answer. I emailed and they didn't return emails. Now that they have changed hands, I thought I would give it another shot. I no longer see it anywhere on their site. In fact, their old address has changed and they are now lie-nielsen.com.au

Does anyone know where I can get the ball bearing adjuster that they used to sell? I really hate my 97 1/2 because no matter how much I clean it and oil it, it's difficult to adjust. I'm hoping that will fix it.

Hi Malcolm

Henry Eckert split into two companies and part was sold and has become Lie-Nielsen Australia. The other half has become The Toolworks, and this company sells the Howard Adjuster wheels ..

http://www.thetoolworks.com.au/

David Eckert runs this company. A good bloke. Say hi from me.

The wheel adjuster for the #60 1/2 is excellent. I just purchased the new, smaller one for the #102/103. Unfortunately, my #103 was an early model and uses a smaller thread than the current version, so I am waiting for a revised model here. If you want the smaller wheel, check the size is the current one.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Derek! I knew they had sold, but was not aware of the new site. I will check it out.

I ordered one for each of my two ln block planes. Sipping ws about $8 if I recall. I can hardly wait to receive them.

In the mean time, I polished the bearing surfaces on the adjuster and blade slot. I then waxed them up wiyh Renaissance wax. It made a pretty big improvement.

That said, my ln chisel plane is really the one that could use the new adjuster since the blade really move from side to side when adjusing depth. I doubt the either of the new adjusterswill work on it however.

Many Kind Regards . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

I have three of these. They work well, and I find that some models of LN planes need them more than others. I found these adjusted much smoother with the Howard adjuster: the 60-1/2, the Skew Block, the 102, and These are adjusters are expensive, so I will stick with the original knobs on the other planes. I do wish they had stuck with the stainless on the Howard ones instead of brass...a minor thing. It only took about 10 days to get mine from Australia to Chicago.