Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elusive song title

That's a wonderful song. He really got the stages right...

I'm twenty two for a moment
    She feels better than ever
    And we're on fire
    Making our way back from Mars
    I'm thirty three for a moment

Still the man, but you see I'm of age
    A kid on the way
    A family on my mind
    I'm forty five for a moment
    The sea is high
    And I'm heading into a crisis
    Chasing the years of my life

Blog Entries
    In a similar vein but there's a song from the 60s that I always liked. As I was reading up in Brian Wilson I learned that he became obsessed with it. From then in he used Phil Spector's "wall of sound" technic. The Spector song was recorded by (I think), The Ronettes "Be My Baby". He'd listen to it for hours every day, to the point that when the Beach Boys were in the studio recording, Brian would be in the control room listening to Be My Baby. They had to use a studio musician to play bass.
    Wilson us a fascinating person. Some time where you're bored check him out. Highly intelligent beyond his ability to cope with.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, OP,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    In a similar vein but there's a song from the 60s that I always liked. As I was reading up in Brian Wilson I learned that he became obsessed with it. From then in he used Phil Spector's "wall of sound" technic. The Spector song was recorded by (I think), The Ronettes "Be My Baby". He'd listen to it for hours every day, to the point that when the Beach Boys were in the studio recording, Brian would be in the control room listening to Be My Baby. They had to use a studio musician to play bass.
    Wilson us a fascinating person. Some time where you're bored check him out. Highly intelligent beyond his ability to cope with.
    I read once that the sheer genius of the Beatles' music (which Brian Wilson was gifted enough to fully comprehend at the time) drove him to a nervous breakdown. Don't know if it's true, but it's quite a notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I read once that the sheer genius of the Beatles' music (which Brian Wilson was gifted enough to fully comprehend at the time) drove him to a nervous breakdown. Don't know if it's true, but it's quite a notion.
    According to the movie about Brian Wilson, he was obsessed with the Sgt. Peppers... album and it was the driving force behind his creation of the Pet Sounds. Love & Mercy is the movie. I enjoyed it.
    -Lud

Blog Entries
    He also wrote songs that the Beatles recorded. Let it be was one major influence.
    When asked if he idolized the artists he focused on he simply replied "No, but he/they are interesting". Phil Spector being one.
    I've tried to get a clear picture of his panic attack on the plane, but have found accounts vary. One pointed to his use of LSD.
    I find it interesting that John Lennon was not a person of interest to him....just Paul and George.

The more I read about him the more fascinating he becomes to me.

Again, my apologies to OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    According to the movie about Brian Wilson, he was obsessed with the Sgt. Peppers... album and it was the driving force behind his creation of the Pet Sounds. Love & Mercy is the movie. I enjoyed it.
    Huh? That's a bit of a trick seeing as how 'Pet Sounds' came out a year before 'Sgt. Pepper'...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

You are correct. I must have mixed up my titles. I'm not gonna watch the whole movie again to see what album he was obsessed with.
    -Lud

In front of me is my December 11, 2003 issue of Rolling Stone's 'special collectors issue' The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time...

#1-- The Beatles Sgt Peppers, released 1967...

#2-- The Beach Boys Pet Sounds, released 1966...

Some excerpts in case anyone cares
    Barking dogs, Wilson's dog Banana among them, are prominent among the found sounds on the album.
    The Beatles made a point of echoing them on Sgt. Peppers- an acknowledgement that Pet Sounds was the inspiration for the Beatle's masterpiece.
    That gesture actually completed a circle of influence: Wilson initially conceived of Pet Sounds as an effort to top Rubber Soul.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Huh? That's a bit of a trick seeing as how 'Pet Sounds' came out a year before 'Sgt. Pepper'...
    I think it was Rubber Soul that influenced him to record Pet Sounds. It came out the year before Pet Sounds. Rubber Soul is regarded as the Beatles first big step toward increased studio experimentation. They took it further with Revolver, then hit a crescendo with Sgt Pepper's, although if you ask me, Abbey Road is no slouch in terms of studio experimentation. I'm sure they must have gotten some inspiration in return from Pet Sounds. I've heard Paul McCartney quoted as saying Wouldn't it Be Nice is one of his favorite songs of all time.

I've always heard the Beatles were big fans and admirers of the Beach Boys. I think one of the Beach Boys, Mike Love I think, went to India with the Beatles when they were there with the Maharishi. They wrote a lot of the music for the White Album in India, and if you listen to Back in the USSR, parts of it are an obvious homage to the Beach Boys ("Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out, they leave the West behind....).