Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elusive song title

Elusive song title

I heard a part of a song on the radio, and I can't find out what it was! It's driving me crazy! I'm about to chew the legs off of my chairs(which I would probably delight in replacing later we've all woodworkers here). I decided to come here for help. It's a sort of slow song by a guy. It sounds like he says "I look around for a moment, and she...something...something." That's all I think I know. It's about to kill me. Any help will be appreciated .
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

I googled the lyrics you quoted and didn't find any exact matches, but lots that bear some resemblance. Maybe you would recognize what you heard if you looked at the google results and listened to the ones that appear close. Failing that, what genre of music does your radio station play? That might help narrow it down.

I think it's classic rock.

Sounds almost like "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas. "I look around for a moment and the moments gone. It slips away, and all your money not another moment buy" Dust in the wind. All we are is dust in the wind". etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    I heard a part of a song on the radio, and I can't find out what it was! It's driving me crazy! I'm about to chew the legs off of my chairs(which I would probably delight in replacing later we've all woodworkers here). I decided to come here for help. It's a sort of slow song by a guy. It sounds like he says "I look around for a moment, and she...something...something." That's all I think I know. It's about to kill me. Any help will be appreciated .
    Can you remember the tune? I have a app on my Android phone called SoundHound that lets you sing, whistle, or hum a tune and it will attempt to find it. I used it last to identify the unknown song on a music box movement. I suspect there is something equivalent on-line.

JKJ

there are websites that will search for songs from a snatch of lyrics, without requiring an app download. I think songlyrics.com or songsearch.com are two.

Or you could use the SAWzam app:

Record yourself humming as much of the song as you know.
    Post it here on SMC
    Let us try to collectively figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Can you remember the tune? I have a app on my Android phone called SoundHound that lets you sing, whistle, or hum a tune and it will attempt to find it. I used it last to identify the unknown song on a music box movement. I suspect there is something equivalent on-line.

JKJ
    It was played on a piano. I might get that app and see if it'll work.

I GOT IT!! It's 100 Years by Five For Fighting. OOHHHOHOHO YES! I don't know why I am so fascinated with this song, I swing more to classical music(I'm not rich, not even close). People always associate classical music with rich people. But, there it is, 100 Years. I'm fine now. Those chair legs are still in danger though. Thanks all!

Calling something that came out in 2004 classic rock is a bit....problematic for me

A few years ago, some student left their calculator in one of my classes. I sent a note to all my students, that if they could come by my office and identify the calculator they can claim it. One of my students came by, looked at the calculator (which the original owner had written "METALLICA" on the back), and said " No that is not my calculator, but I do like classic rock" .... Man that hurt. I told her, it can't be classic rock since I remember when they were the hot new thing (82-83 ish). One of the many times I have realized that I am old relative to the college freshmen I teach.

John

2004 is 20 years too late for 90% of classic rock and 15 years too late for 99% of it.

I wasn't saying that this was classic rock, I honestly didn't know what this was. No, I'm saying I like Bach and Haydn kind of classical. I honestly don't know what to classify as classic rock, but if I had to guess I'd say what Mr. Bradley said. As an artist/craftsman, I appreciate any form of praiseworthy "art", which includes music. Most genres of music appeal to me as long as it's worth something, I about can't stand a song that don't mean nothing. Bob Seger, now he could tell a story when he sang. But, out of all the genres of music, I think classical is my favorite. On a side note, this post may sound sparse because it took me thirty minutes to write it. Sorry, Jeremiah Johnson was on and I was preoccupied.

Good song. Five for Fighting has several popular songs you'll probably recognize. You might like Lukas Graham's "7 Years" song. It is similar with a piano and a theme of aging through the years.

I saw a quote a while ago ...

In just a few years 1990 will be 30 years ago. When I think "30 years ago," I still think 1970.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

30 years ago my wife and I were driven crazy by the lyrics to the song from Mad Max beyond the Thunderdome. What were they? We called all the radio stations hoping someone would know, but they didn't. Now you just google it and you got it.

Isn't modern life wonderful? So what about North Korea, global warming, and terrorism. I am not sure what I am getting at....

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    I GOT IT!! It's 100 Years by Five For Fighting. OOHHHOHOHO YES! I don't know why I am so fascinated with this song, I swing more to classical music(I'm not rich, not even close). People always associate classical music with rich people. But, there it is, 100 Years. I'm fine now. Those chair legs are still in danger though. Thanks all!
    in 100 years that might be considered classical but not today