Thread: Marking gauge repair questions

Marking gauge repair questions

Hi,
    I found this marking gauge in the local flea market cheap. It is in good working order, without a pin.

4z4rtk4.jpg

It looks like they used a small finish nail, which is long since gone. I'm thinking about drilling a small hole, slightly smaller diameter than some finish nails I have, drive the nail, clip off the head and try to put a sharp bevel on it with a file.
    Another thing; there is no finish on it. Is this typical?
    I would not want to sand the surface, especially the beam, prior to putting on a finish, and I'm not certain a finish is even necessary at this stage.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    When a small drill bit gets broken in my shop it is saved for a use like this. A finish nail also works but it is of softer metal.

For reviving dried wood Howard's furniture wax/polish is a good product. There are many other similar products at the borgs and hardware stores. Some furniture and antique shops also carry wood care products and depending on how long it has been in stock their prices might be crazy low or crazy high.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks again, Jim.

I just watched Paul Sellers on this one. He would either use a large guage wire or he would use a nail and file it to a bevel on both sides making a V. Looked like a really good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Williams View Post
    I just watched Paul Sellers on this one. He would either use a large guage wire or he would use a nail and file it to a bevel on both sides making a V. Looked like a really good way to go.

Need to check that vid out. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I've repaired and made several marking gages. I've made pins from nails amd broken drill bits. The drill bits work best for me. I made a cutting gage using a saber saw blade.

I've built some marking gauges that I used a inch and a 1/4 length of an old three sided file.
    I ground one end with a bevel for the cutter and then used a small wedge to control the exposure of the
    depth of cut or mark. I've got one that is still in use that hasn't yet used up the file. Files are made from
    hardened steel and if you are careful to water dip the cutting edge while you are shaping it on the grinder
    it will retain it's harden characteristics.

Scrap wood + file segment = free marking gauge

Enjoy!