Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with buying a router

1. Ditto on the Bosch 1617. I've got 2 of them and never had any problem with them. One I use in my router table and the other for unmounted work. Last time I looked, Lowes had these for around $225 but they go on sale elsewhere regularly. You might even be able to pick them up used on your local craigslist.

I've not had experience with any of the others but have heard very good things about the Porter Cable models. Definitely go with a router that will handle 1/2 and 1/4 inch bits. All of my primary router bits are 1/2-inch shanks but I do have a few 1/4-inch. The larger shanks are stiffer and less likely to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I think that particular model is really an Elu router ....
    Due credit... It was a really good router for 20+ years. Then it wasn't.

I agree with the bosch recommendation. I really like mine and as a bonus, with a very minor grind on the base, it will fit on the Festool LR32 system! !!

FYI, Rockler as the Porter Cable 690 LR on sale for $129.99 plus free shipping.

I have a Porter Cable 690 dual base set and an 890 dual base set. The 890 mostly lives in the router table because of the through-the-base height adjustment you can use with their fixed base. The 690 is mostly for hand held use, with a variety of bases including a D-handle and a plunge on an M-Power base plate.

That said, I also got a Triton a while back, and when I get around to making a Paulk Workbench, I plan to use it for a router table there.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.