Thread: Tuesday Suprise!

Tuesday Suprise!

Liogiere shipped my rasps, I bought a set of 5 as recommended really by others in the other French maker and Liogiere gave me the equivalents. I have always wanted a set of rasps from this storied company. Also picked up the "Sapphire" treatment, wanted to make sure they last as long as possible. Who knows if someday we won't be able to get them anymore.

I'll report on how they function soon!

Here they are: http://imgur.com/poc7VkZ
    http://imgur.com/wSoO1TQ

Blog Entries
    What grain count or sizes did you order?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here is the list, I know very little about rasps, I used Paul Sellers and a few others recommendations for what they would buy and it was from the Airou (sp) maker. So I tried to get the equivalent from Liogier.

Cabinet maker rasp 9" grain#10 sapphire

modeller rasp 6" grain#14 sapphire

modeller rasp 6" grain#15 sapphire

Half round rasp 4" grain#14 sapphire

Rat tail rasp 6" grain#13

In case anyone is wondering about cost it was €444.72 EUR which I had to pay in USD at the time which I think was a bit over 500. Haha I just checked due to the exchange rate, my rasps are worth 24 dollars less than I paid! It did take quite some time to get. Really awesome.
    Last edited by Joe Williams; 05-23-2017 at 3:21 PM.

So I have spent a few hours trying these rasps. What a difference compared to my old machine mades. So impressed at how nice the finish was on a test piece.

People that are more rasp-telligent than me, what would you buy to fill in my set?

Thank you!
    Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Williams View Post
    So I have spent a few hours trying these rasps. What a difference compared to my old machine mades. So impressed at how nice the finish was on a test piece.

People that are more rasp-telligent than me, what would you buy to fill in my set?

Thank you!
    Joe
    You might want to consider a sheer cut file or what is called a superior cut file.

Two NOS Nicholson examples on ebay:

item #282344266644
    or
    item #382077687366

Caveat: I actually just bought one of these. The other auction is for a box of 6 and has me very tempted.

They work different than the rasps. They can leave an incredibly smooth finish especially when rounding over end grain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the heads up, always looking for files on ebay that aren't ruined home center brands!

I really enjoy my Liogier rasps - picked them up domestically at TheBestThings. That is a great set you have there. I find that most of my work is done with the finer grain smaller rasps - although I purchased a large coarse cabinet rasp when I want to hog off material. It is a Liogier as well, I believe it is a 9", 7 grain model (I'll have to check).

The other type of rasp you may want to investigate are some rifflers. They are small, double-ended rasps for cleaning up small details and for carving. I use them a lot in cleaning up joints and in detailed parts of boxes, etc. They come in a number of different profiles - I like the very fine grained versions because them make very clean cuts. Very useful.

Thank you, I have always wanted a set of those, going to get them next along with a very coarse cabinet I think.

Congrats, those are beautiful rasps.
    For rough work, for the time being, I use a Ferrier's Rasp. Makes quick work of hogging away wood, and doesn't splinter and blow out wood like a cheap rasp would.
    To smooth things out, I have 10" Double Bastard file that works really well. I've carved about 8 or 10 guitar necks with those two(can't remember exactly).
    But I will eventually find a set of finely made rasps for wood working. For shaping wood, there is nothing quite like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    Congrats, those are beautiful rasps.
    For rough work, for the time being, I use a Ferrier's Rasp. Makes quick work of hogging away wood, and doesn't splinter and blow out wood like a cheap rasp would.
    To smooth things out, I have 10" Double Bastard file that works really well. I've carved about 8 or 10 guitar necks with those two(can't remember exactly).
    But I will eventually find a set of finely made rasps for wood working. For shaping wood, there is nothing quite like them.
    Wow so that is two bastard file recommendations essentially. I never thought about using those for wood, I guess it makes sense to be honest but I am so used to filing saw teeth flat with them I just didn't connect it. Thank you

With the rasps you just got, you don't need the bastard file. But they do work well for me.

But I use this (Ferrier's Rasp) for rough work

bOiJajW.jpg

and this type of Bastard file for smoother work. It can take a lot or a little, depending on how hard you dig in. I have a smaller one of these in half round, as well.

i2EpkmP.jpg

I want at least one nice rasp, but they will have to wait. We do with what we have. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
    Those rasps are things of beauty. Use them with joy!
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 05-26-2017 at 9:07 PM.