Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion Wanted -- Cutting a Running Splice on Crown Molding

Opinion Wanted -- Cutting a Running Splice on Crown Molding

I need to do a running splice on crown molding.

Option #1Cut it upside down like cutting a corner miter. From what I have seen and found on line it is usually done this way.

Option #2 Cut held flat against the fence. I know it can be done this way and the joint will fit and work.

Would you find it odd or objectionable to use option #2.

I am cutting my joints using a combination bevel and miter setting and cutting the joints flat on the saw table so I do not hold the crown upside down and backwards.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I prefer the simple butt joint for painted work. And a little sanding and filling will make it disappear. On stained work it's
    sometimes possible to get better result with angled splice.

George,

This guy has a very good video on this procedure. Worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    George,

This guy has a very good video on this procedure. Worth a look.
    I like his 22.5* cut but his sanding and filling will not work for pre-finished stained crown molding.
    George

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    +1 with Mel on the butt joint. I usually will glue in one or two bisquits for alignment and to keep things in place.
    Butt joints are the smallest
    Butt joints don't look as bad when the finish or paint cracks over time
    Butt joints are easiest to cut, join and sand
    I have had to join three pieces of crown (even more in long hallways) in large rooms on more than a few occasions over the years. We would always look to center the joints over or between doors, windows or panels so they looked like they belonged there. Or, space the joints at ratio spacing ie: 3-5-3 or similar to keep things more pleasing to the eye.

IMO, mitered splices aren't worth the trouble, YMMV

Butt joints, and straight bevels are generally used in lower class work. The reason most people don't miter as described, is that it takes time and effort to make it seamless.
    In 31 years, and a few miles of crown mold installing, I have yet to use a butt or straight bevel joint.
    I have however been in many places- commercial and residential, and seen the poor results from doing so. Either in initial fitting, or shrinkage over length- don't ever believe the lie that wood doesn't shrink in length.
    Just my .02

How do you think this would work. Since my miter saw is a compound miter saw tip the blade to 45*, set the miter to 22.5* and cut the scarf joint with the crown flat on the the table of the saw.
    George

I've seen them done that way ,but they often end up a little misaligned. Honestly ,with the material being stained it just doesn't show slight flaws the way paint does. Trust your own eye

width shrinks, not length.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    width shrinks, not length.
    No wood moves in all dimensions. It just moves much less along the length. A butt joint in the middle of a 20' length of crown will eventually become a gap. I was taught to use a scarf joint when applying tell and molding. That way any shrinkage or separation only creates a slight reveal rather than an open gap.

It depends on the size of the crown. If it is smaller-say less then 4" tall, I would just do a straight bevel and glue it.

If it is bigger crown and you are worried about the joint, you can reinforce it any number of ways-for overkill I personally like to do a butt joint and put in some pockethole screws to pull it tight, then glue and nail a piece of wood on the backside. Then you can cut and install it like one long piece of crown.

If posslble, bevel the joint away from where people will be most likely to look at it from in the room.
    Last edited by Ken Grant; 05-24-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    No wood moves in all dimensions. It just moves much less along the length. A butt joint in the middle of a 20' length of crown will eventually become a gap. I was taught to use a scarf joint when applying tell and molding. That way any shrinkage or separation only creates a slight reveal rather than an open gap.

which is why a sprung in place butt joint is better than any scarf joint. A house will move more than the trim from season to season.

Pete and Johnny are on the money. Even if we can't get our heads around why, a mitred joint works and butt joints don't over time. Springing in place is risky depending on the season when you do it. Cheers

Scarf joints are made the same way as outside miters- upside down, nested to fence, and miter angle at 45 degrees.
    Anybody that thinks wood doesn't move in length, obviously doesn't have much experience, but if they are paying attention, eventually they will.

Sure thing. Never installed any trim anywhere.

scarf joints end up looking like poo.

Sprung in place but joints with a bit of glue don't go anywhere.

No different than sprung in place coped runs of crown.

but whatwver.
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 05-25-2017 at 8:47 AM.