Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New UPS Practice (U.S. Deliveries)

Similar issues with UPS, but much better now that they contract with the USPS to make the actual "last mile" deliveries. I find FedEx very convenient. Their tracking info is very up-to-date compared with UPS' once daily updates (improved lately). FedEx allows me to request that they hold a package at their warehouse near my work, even if requested at the last minute, if that works best for me. Almost none of my deliveries come via FedEx any more, though.

Blog Entries
    You just touched on my biggest complaint. Companies that refuse to ship to a PO Box and then use a service that uses the USPS for that "last mile". I have lived here for 26 years and never had a mail receptical at the house, even though I live in town.

Howard Garner

In my earlier post, I mentioned giving the postman a Macau each year. Obviously, I meant the max cash gift. But, I am certain this error was caused by the new forum update. It could not possibly be an operator error or spell correct error. ;<]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    At our old address my standing shipping instructions for on line vendors was to not ship via FedEx.

Did the lady who was trapped have your phone number?

In panic situations people often forget the simple solutions to their predicament.

jtk
    they work for amazon and they have my phone number i have gotten a call before when they didn't want to leave the package outside the gate so i have to assume it is easily excess able to them.

My friend lives in a third floor apartment. For his route, the USPS will not attempt delivery to a third floor, so, they leave it at the sorting location and leave a failed to deliver notice in his mailbox. He was waiting for the USPS person who personally handed him the "failed to delivery" notice. he must then wait until the next day after it has been transported to the location where he can get it.

I was sent a package marked next day morning delivery. They marked it delivered at the sorting facility before they left. we contacted the post office to ask about the package and to get money back since they failed to make morning delivery and they said "the computer showed it delivered in the morning". I am unsure how to deal with that when they flat out lie about what they do.

My location is often used as a training route so we are often playing musical letters. it is always an adventure.... Whose letters will I need to re-deliver today?

UPS here rarely delivers to my house anymore (Fed EX too) they drop off to the US post office and those guys finish the delivery. My recent UPS package was to arrive last night - end of day. Well it did, but their last stop was the post office so my package actually arrived late morning today via the post office.

I don't know what deliveries get that treatment because I see UPS and Fed EX trucks up and down our road very day - sometimes they will deliver to my door. Seems to be related to the size of the package though most of those redelivered by the post office won't fit our box and so are driven up the driveway for a to the door delivery by the post office. These guys are on my Christmas list - not so much the UPS and Fed Ex guys/gals.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    With FedEx Ground the drivers are not employees of FedEx. Currently our driver lives two doors down so they know where we are. In California the FedEx driver delivered an expensive purchase to some unknown place. There was always a problem with them finding our home address. When I was doing field service work I would have packages sent to the closest FedEx office to the work site. This worked quite well as long as the shipping party got things right.
    We had that problem with UPS at our last house, the drivers would consistently deliver our packages to the wrong street. Same house number, totally different street name. And it would happen time and time again. We'd get notification that our package was delivered, if it wasn't on the porch, we'd jump in the car, drive to the other address and get it. The people who lived there knew all about it, but we were always worried that someone would see us taking a package off their porch and call the cops. Complaints to UPS didn't help for a long time then it just magically fixed itself and they started getting it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    UPS here rarely delivers to my house anymore (Fed EX too) they drop off to the US post office and those guys finish the delivery. My recent UPS package was to arrive last night - end of day. Well it did, but their last stop was the post office so my package actually arrived late morning today via the post office.

I don't know what deliveries get that treatment because I see UPS and Fed EX trucks up and down our road very day - sometimes they will deliver to my door. Seems to be related to the size of the package though most of those redelivered by the post office won't fit our box and so are driven up the driveway for a to the door delivery by the post office. These guys are on my Christmas list - not so much the UPS and Fed Ex guys/gals.
    Last mile by the USPS for UPS packages is a specific, lower cost service for shippers. UPS's system is also smart enough to know when there's a "regular" UPS package due for an address on the same day and they don't bother to drop the cheaper package at the post office since they have to stop at the address with the big brown truck, anyway. 'Happens all the time here...

For those missing deliveries, there's cost involved with re-delivery, so that may be why they divert to a local pickup location rather than attempt multiple times.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The UPS customer center for me might as well be on the moon. It is 26 miles away. With no traffic it is an hour round trip. During rush hour it would probably take me two hours to make the round trip. At least they are open until 8 pm if I ever have to make the trip.

I receive packages from overseas, and these require signatures. I provide the shippers with my cell phone number, and this gives the UPS, UPS, and DHL drivers the option of calling me so I can be available when the delivery is attempted. It isn't foolproof, but works out often.

I recommend folks that get packages that require signatures join the UPS (and other carriers') notification programs. One of the features is being able to redirect a package to where you actually are going to be when it matters or to an alternative pickup location, such as the local UPS Store. There's no cost for the general level of these programs and the extra tracking and convenience is very nice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The USPS I don't think allows redirection of signature required packages. It was a pain to pick up some packages from the carrier annex. I personally don't have a good alternative for a delivery address where someone can sign for something.

This whole discussion is distressing. While we have good service currently from all the delivery services. Everyone else's experiences makes me realize the changes in policies are soon to come to our area.

To play the Devil's Advocate. Shipping companies make these decisions based upon quantifiable and quantitative data. Take notice that every time a UPS driver pulls to a stop the engine is turned off. One minute of engine idle for the UPS delivery fleet costs over $500k a year in fuel consumption.
    -Lud

UPS, FEDEX, and USPS are all pretty good here. Our drive is gated and about 1/4 mile from the house. I installed a big lock box outside my gate and they all use it. I get the delivery schedule notifications and if I have a package that requires a signature I tape a note on the box for the carrier and they will call my cell phone and I'm at the gate in a minute. One driver calls when he delivers perishables, just so I'll know. I know most of the drivers and give them bottles of honey from the beehives.

You can contact UPS and FEDEX and they will put any special instructions in your file. I don't know if all drivers will read them, but I know at least some do.

JKJ