Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning:Graphic Pic. When cutting mortises...

Warning:Graphic Pic. When cutting mortises...

....try not to stab yourself in your fat, stupid belly.
    100_3573.jpg
    Just came off a pasted strop. Nice and sharp.
    Only went in about 1/4 inch. I slapped a bandaid on it and kept working, but please be careful.
    Full disclosure, it was my fault entirely.
    I have no vice, actually not even a bench yet. I was cutting mortises on my porch railing. Board had a bit of a crown. I was paring the corners straight, and the board wobbled and fell toward me, sending the chisel into my belly. I broke pretty much every rule I can think of RE safety.
    When I went back to work, I guarantee you I clamped the piece down.
    Don't do what I did. Be smart ,and safe, folks.

Blog Entries
    I always try to plan with what can go wrong in mind. Well at least when I am thinking about what I am doing. It is usually when my brain goes on autopilot that something untoward happens.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I can promise you I'll be more conscious of that from now on. Could have been a lot worse.

That photo is blurry enough it almost looks profane :P I am sorry you got hurt, always good to have warnings where nothing too serious happened.

Thanks, Joe.

Blog Entries
    When I went back to work, I guarantee you I clamped the piece down.
    Good to know it didn't keep you from getting back to work. Hope the healing is fast.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    Only went in about 1/4 inch. I slapped a bandaid on it and kept working, but please be careful.
    Can I recommend that you use a butterfly bandage? or some equivalent generic.... Their purpose is to hold the wound closed, and that one looks to be NOT CLOSED. They look like this and you can get them many places

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Band.../dp/B0013H2YM6

I bought my latest batch from CVS.

I did something very similar to my leg when either I dropped a chisel or it rolled off the bench; don't remember which right now. The wound looked remarkably similar.

Andrew, I meant to pick some of those up yesterday. Thanks.
    I never even felt it; the chisel was so sharp. I thought it just contacted me. Did not realize I was even cut until I looked down while working and saw the cut in my shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    Andrew, I meant to pick some of those up yesterday. Thanks.
    I never even felt it; the chisel was so sharp. I thought it just contacted me. Did not realize I was even cut until I looked down while working and saw the cut in my shirt.
    It was the same for me. That chisel was very sharp!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...69#post1980569

Can you guess how I shaved the hair around the wound? Yep, CHISEL!

Nice job on the chest (and the bandages).
    I thought about shaving around the wound, but was leery of getting a stray hair actually in the wound.

Mike,

Since the laceration happened yesterday, you don't really want to close it tightly now; clean it well with soap and water, put a loose dressing over it, and if your last tetanus shot was more than 5 years ago, get one today.

Yep, I'm washing it once daily, and keeping an eye on it.

With no bench, try sitting on your work-piece (on a sitting bench) and mortise while holding the work in place with your butt and or leg -I'd imagine it a little safer than the porch rail. Sorry to hear of your mishap; feel better.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson