Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing with Business Customers

If you're going to have customers on terms I'd recommend:

1. Setting up their account so they have a max credit. You'll have to use your best judgement, but for example, I deal with a local golf club doing a lot of small orders and I had to cap them at $500 or $750. They'd never pay even after notification of outstanding debt. Finally had to say enough.

2. Always get a PO. This is the most important thing. "Hey, can I order 500 water bottles engraved with "God Bless You" is not an order. Get a purchase order. This is a vendor contract which basically means as long as you deliver, you have to get paid. It puts you on their books as someone they owe money to. While this isn't important for a $100 order, if you start getting some decent orders, you want to be on their books. I can't tell you how often some guy will order something on behalf of the company, never submits the invoice, and you're left chasing money 30 days after they picked it up. Chasing money is a waste of time.

3. We've looked at it more than once. While I'd love everyone to pay me on time via check or cash, it doesn't happen. I don't trust treasurers to pay on time and I don't trust accounts payable to pay me on time (assuming they ever got the invoice in the first place). If someone can pay me via credit card and it means I'm guaranteed to get paid, I'll eat the 3%. We don't have a cash flow issue, but getting paid at pickup or at the time of order makes following cash flow so much easier than waiting 30+ days for payment.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Ross makes very good points.

When a new business customer asks me for a quote, I always ask for payment on delivery for a first order but state that subsequent orders *may* be allowed 30 day's credit.

This is a pretty good stress test of the customer's payment system and if they pay up promptly the first time (almost all do) then I'm happy to give the credit time and where there are a lot of small orders also invoice monthly.

The one firm that flunked completely is still a customer : for a long while they were on payment in advance (not even working drawings until the money is in the bank), but they finally got their accounts system sorted out so that they get the 30 days, but normally pay much more quickly.

If I need to lay out significant cash on materials for a less regular customer, I ask for 50% up-front : that way I'm only risking my time. In practice I have never been refused and the balance has always been paid quickly following delivery.
    Last edited by Michael Hunter; 05-25-2017 at 6:25 PM.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    Florida???? really

Every gas station around me has a cash price and a credit card price. I've been burned several times because the CC price wasn't clearly marked.

Wonder how they get away with this?
    Reminds me of how they do Bingo here in 'Gambling is Evil'-land..

Bingo for money is a game of chance in which you have to pay for Bingo cards for a chance to win--

---illegal----

But what if you DIDN'T have to pay for your Bingo cards?

---legal----

so where does the payout money come from? You pay $20 for a spaghetti or meat loaf dinner, and the Bingo cards are "free"...

---legal ! ----

oh, and if you want more free cards, just pay more for your dinner

Not sure how the loophole works with the 'cash price/credit price' deal, but is more than likely a 'language' thing--
    if you call it a fee or surcharge, illegal-- but since it's simply listed as a "price" - not unlike 3 for 99c Taco Tuesday - due to the language of the law, it's probably legal..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    To make the gas price legal, it is a discount for cash. They may put up cash price, and machine set up for cc price but it is a discount for cash, not an add on for using a cc.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I really made a mistake in posting what I did. I've had one charge this week and didn't apply the surcharge. Almost all my business is by check so it makes little difference one way or the other.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    BTW it is illegal to charge a service fee for credit cards.
    They are not charging a fee - they are "Discounting" for cash.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

I have a 3% "accounting charge" that I waive for cash customers...