Thread: A burl is like a box of chocolates

Blog Entries

A burl is like a box of chocolates

You never know what you're going to get.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    No soup for you !!!

Blog Entries
    I'm all cracked up on the highway and in the water's edge.

Blog Entries
    Anyone on the 3rd pic?

Its only a bowl if it will hold water.......otherwise it is a "piece of art"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    No soup for you !!!
    Depending on the size you could set a nice potted plant inside, pot and all, and sell it in a heartbeat. Or give it to someone and make their day.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Jordan View Post
    Its only a bowl if it will hold water.......otherwise it is a "piece of art"
    I be an artist?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Depending on the size you could set a nice potted plant inside, pot and all, and sell it in a heartbeat. Or give it to someone and make their day.

JKJ
    You really think someone would buy this?
    I've had this piece for 2 or 3 years. Been wanting to look inside it forever, so last night.....

It would be great to actually make money on my pieces. But how do you determine price ?
    I was looking around at some of the pieces for sale online and came across one collection where the prices ran in the 100-200 range an all of a sudden there was a walnut vase for 7K.

What size is it? If it's just 6" across, it may be hard to sell. If it is 10-14", it might be perfect.

I think it has that earthy, natural look that would appeal to people. And the figure of the burl is incredible, as burls are. The walls look sturdy and the form looks like it would be quite stable with even a relatively large plant, unlike pieces turned with a delicate foot. That it won't hold water is a plus for a planter. If it is large enough, try dropping in a potted plant with big leafy structure and stand back at take a look. You could carry it to a nursery that sells such plants in plastic pots and try them before buying. Take a few pictures and show them around.

I wouldn't know how to price it - I don't think I've ever sold or tried to sell a bowl or platter except as donated to a benefit auction. I have on occasion accidentally made a few thousand on turnings (all spindle turnings) and was surprised at what people were willing to pay - a woman paid $200 for the last little spindle turning I sold. (A relative told her they were $300 but I gave her a big discount. Ha.) I've probably sold over 100 "Harry Potter" magic wands for $25-$60 each. But I'd FAR rather give things away than sell them, sometimes just to see the look on faces!

The key to selling seems to be the right market - you might get very little for a piece at a craft fair but top dollar from an interior decorator. I have a friend who sells huge pottery "art" he makes to banks and corporations, and to architects and decorators for their clients - I think he prices them around $15,000. He used to do craft fairs and sold mugs and teapots for maybe $15-$25 - quite a different world. It's a tough market to break into though - as they say, keep your day job.

I showed your pictures to my wife and she said (again, depending on the size) it would make a fantastic container for an indoor potted plant. Maybe someone here could make a suggestion, especially if you posted a picture or two of it holding a plant. If it is big enough.

JKJ

You really think someone would buy this?
    I've had this piece for 2 or 3 years. Been wanting to look inside it forever, so last night.....

It would be great to actually make money on my pieces. But how do you determine price ?
    I was looking around at some of the pieces for sale online and came across one collection where the prices ran in the 100-200 range an all of a sudden there was a walnut vase for 7K.

Blog Entries
    No, 6" at best. But I have several larger burls if I can just get to them.
    I must have 20 people wanting me to make them a bowl, but it's not that simple, for me anyway. Each day I get a little better at the grinder and each day I see a little progress in my skills, but not yet where I would feel confident handing someone a bowl.

No, 6" at best. But I have several larger burls if I can just get to them.
    I must have 20 people wanting me to make them a bowl, but it's not that simple, for me anyway. Each day I get a little better at the grinder and each day I see a little progress in my skills, but not yet where I would feel confident handing someone a bowl.
    The best part about giving away bowls is that the recipient has no real right to complain (i.e. if the finish fails or it develop cracks, etc).

I give away the vast majority of my work.. as I say, the joy is in the "making". Not to say I won't sell -- and I won't give them to just anyone. But I find far more joy in giving things to friends and family (or charity) than I think I could ever get from selling them.