Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E.A. Berg chisels dull extremely quickly - what am I doing wrong?

Blog Entries
    When you sharpen, ensure that the burr on the flat side is totally gone. I would imagine that this is being mistaken for the edge folding over and will be much more pronounced after light use if it remains. I also suspect this is common with old chisels that need some real effort to re-flatten.

Chopping cuts on a clean edge should create a fine finish. If you want to test your edge, forget about shaving your arm. Chop near the end of your cut off stock, bevel down, the notch it creates should show a smooth finish. If there are lines in the finish then your sharpening needs improvement.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but shedua is known to have a high silica content: that can't be doing your edges and good.
    High silica content has messed up many a chisel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

About like chopping into Teak......

I have used a few Berg chisels. Maybe 3 or 4 over the years. By USED I meant tried them out. They were all too soft.

I stick my neck out saying this,but they ALL seemed too soft to me. The old Dutch cabinet maker they had in the museum when I started here(and unfortunately fir several years after!!!) used a berg chisel,a 3/4" most of the time. He had one of those odd shaped coticle stones that Woodcraft sold many years ago. He'd spit on the stone and sharpen the chisel in the spit! I never tried his stone!!! I never saw him make anything out of wood other than softish mahogany. They also made a little wooden double candle stick from cherry or walnut. I think their simple bases were routed around their edges in a factory somewhere. Purchased by the large box full! They were a product regularly sold in Williamsburg. I don't think a chisel was ever used in their construction!

Anyway, he liked his Berg chisel. I NEVER found one that wasn't too soft. I currently have most of a set of Berg chisels of stub length(abt. a 4" long blade) They are too soft. I gave up on them,and don't know why I wasted my money on a set of them! They have that ugly Birch that looks like it came out of a burl for handles!! Well,I guess you've GOT to have SOME hardwood to be proud of if birch is the only hard wood that grows in your area!! Birch was he only hardwood we had in Alaska. And that wasn't as far north as the Scando countries,I THINK. I don't ever recall seeing a birch tree there more than 8" in diameter(but,it's been MANY decades since I beheld that lovely mud hole!!!!) Where we got 13' of rain a year. And,the mosquitos could almost gang up on you and carry you back to the woods! An excellent place to avoid unless you are a Salmon fishing nut! It was in the Alexander Archipeligo. Not,I don't know who this Alexander was(possibly the czar of Russia,since early on,Russia was owned by Russia) But,if he was an explorer,he should have explored somewhere else,if he wanted some place immortalized with his name! The town was Ketchikan. That means "Lift wing of prostrate eagle". WHY you would want to lift the wing of a room temperature eagle,I'm not sure. Maybe so you could make a dream catcher to send to Hillary,getting yourself in trouble!!

But,I digress. Maybe I'll find use for Bergs if I get senile and start making everything out of balsa wood!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-27-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    I sure wish George would learn to say what he means and not beat around the bush.

And yet...a Berg plane iron is about the best vintage iron out there....

Years ago, I took a class with Garrett Hack. I recall that he mentioned that he used the red plastic handled berg chisels. Here is pic from FWW of Garrett using these Berg chisels.
    tiv211_02-thumb2.jpg
    I have been using a set of Berg socket chisels for a few years now, but I reserve them for paring: I do most chopping with LN A2 chisels. Although they are reserved for paring, I've been pleased with their performance. I do wonder however, when folks have issues such as this (and assuming for a moment that it is not the silica content of the wood that is at work here) what the history of the chisel is. Chisels found in the wild may have had many previous owners and who knows if the temper has been affected by careless sharpening by one of theses previous owners: just a SWAG.

Niels, where are you located ? I have a Veritas pmv-11 chisel you can try to see if that changes something.
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    Niels, where are you located ? I have a Veritas pmv-11 chisel you can try to see if that changes something.
    Hi Lasse,

I live just outside Roskilde.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I've actually just ordered some other chisels to try out to rule out the Bergs.

If I were to try your PMV-11 I would probably just end up needing a 2nd mortgage in order to purchase a set :-)

BTW: how do you like them and have you tried others before you selected the PMVs?

Kind regards,
    Niels
    Last edited by Niels J. Larsen; 05-28-2017 at 3:36 PM.

What did you order ?

Unfortunately I have not yet had the chance to try them out. I just got them in christmas present from my mother in law ;-) At the moment my workshop is stored away because i currently live in an apartment :-(
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    What did you order ?

Unfortunately I have not yet had the chance to try them out. I just got them in christmas present from my mother in law ;-) At the moment my workshop is stored away because i currently live in an apartment :-(
    I bought a couple of Narex 8116 chisels.
    Nowhere near the quality of the PM-V11s but based on reviews very good value for the money.
    Having read reviews of the PM-V11s just now however they really seem to be the ones to want. :-)

An apartment shouldn't hold you back, you could always work at the kitchen table...

I'm confident your wife will agree with me! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Niels J. Larsen View Post
    I bought a couple of Narex 8116 chisels.
    Nowhere near the quality of the PM-V11s but based on reviews very good value for the money.
    Having read reviews of the PM-V11s just now however they really seem to be the ones to want. :-)

An apartment shouldn't hold you back, you could always work at the kitchen table...

I'm confident your wife will agree with me! :-D
    You clearly haveŽnt met my wife
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Lowell: Go back and read the FIRST line of my post. It says exactly what I wanted to say. After that,there's a little story,IF you care to read it. Some do. But,the point of my post is in the first line.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Lowell: Go back and read the FIRST line of my post. It says exactly what I wanted to say. After that,there's a little story,IF you care to read it. Some do. But,the point of my post is in the first line.
    What hit me was this:

Where we got 13' of rain a year.
    I think we had a little more than 21' here in the first three months of this year. The trees seem to grow too fast to make tight grained wood.

Then the ground gets muddy and a strong wind blows them over. I have a maple and a cherry that need to be tended to when the time is available.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would expect the Berg chisels to be higher quality than the PM v11. You might try using a fine oil stone on the Berg chisels. This might be closer to what they were designed to be sharpened with.