Thread: eBay removed item after I purchased it- now I can't even contact seller

Blog Entries

eBay removed item after I purchased it- now I can't even contact seller

I'm not asking for advice- I'll take it up with eBay, but wondering if this has ever happened to anyone:

A LN 16" tenon saw popped up for $47 buy it now. I rubbed my eyes- this must be a fluke. I pulled up the item and it said it was in like new shape, and the guy just wasn't using it. It had a picture of the saw sitting on his bench- not just a stock photo. No red flag there. I quickly bought the item.

I went back to be sure this was real- after paying. I noticed the seller has zero feedback. Oops- that would have been a flag, and I forgot to check that, but let's see what happens.

Today I got a message from eBay saying that the item had been removed, but that I should still receive my item soon. If not, I should file a claim. Since the item was removed, I can't pull up the seller info to contact the seller. I'm sure they had a reason for removing it, and probably since they can't guarantee whether or not it was shipped, they put the ball in my court. This stinks, because the free shipping (yep- $47 included shipping!) was snail mail, which where I live takes 3 to 4 weeks to get here. I am not waiting that long to file a claim.

I knew it was too good to be true. I was waiting for a message from the seller saying, "Hey buddy- I really messed up and didn't mean to sell that for $47. I'm new to eBay. Can I refund your money?" I would have said, "No worries- first time selling- made a mistake- I won't hold it over your head as long as you refund me." Instead, probably it was a scammer and somehow eBay figured it out. I shall wait and see- but not for long, and will file a claim. I paid with PayPal, so they should refund me. It's a very odd way for eBay to handle this, leaving me no way to contact the seller or get a tracking number. Why delete the item after it was sold and paid for?

Anyone ever have eBay remove an item after purchase and leave you hanging?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-25-2017 at 4:28 PM.

Seems to me that I would get an email from ebay with confirmation of the order and doesn't that include the seller info?

Weird! No, never happened to me. I did a sold item search and found 3, yes 3, at that price. all had the same pic and price and 0 history. Is this yours?

If so, maybe you can use this listing to contact the seller.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-25-2017 at 1:56 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS

Blog Entries
    I just went to the resolution center and it allows me to contact the seller from there. I am not expecting to get anywhere but I will follow the procedures prior to filing a claim. PayPal will refund me if he does not reply. It's just very odd for eBay to message me that the item was removed, after having already paid. Maybe the person said, "Oh dear, I didn't mean to sell that for $47," and tried to remove it. I'm surprised eBay lets you remove an item that has not been marked as shipped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    Weird! No, never happened to me. I did a sold item search and found 3, yes 3, at that price. all had the same pic and price and 0 history. Is this yours?

If so, maybe you can use this listing to contact the seller.
    Rut Row- big red flag there. It's a different seller name. This is clearly a scammer. Oh well. It's only $47 and PayPal should refund me if I follow proper procedures.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-25-2017 at 1:57 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS

Direct links to ebay are not allowed here...

Free shipping to the VI's should have been a red flag too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Free shipping to the VI's should have been a red flag too!
    With the USPS we have the same post office as you land-locked folks, and flat-rate shipping works the same as the states. He would have still made a profit. That said, I was too hasty to purchase and should have seen the zero feedback.

I had a scam something like this happen on eBay once, and PayPal protected me. I notified them and I seem to recall they put a hold on the funds, investigated the situation, and then released the funds back to me. This was some years ago.