Thread: Picked a Mushroom...

Picked a Mushroom...

For a dollar bill. The ONLY sale in town today, and I find this....thing.
    mushroom.JPG
    Two fer one sale...been mushroomed twice..
    Still, maybe a little actual work.....as this is a 2" wide chisel..
    wide chisel.JPG
    Ok, I ground off the one mushroom, the ring just popped off. Drills, chisels and a rasp, to clean out the wooden plug...
    Found an old Harbour Freight Lathe chisel......decided I had better uses for the handle...( no lathe, anyway, right now)
    slick.JPG
    Took a bit of shapping, fitting, and cussing. Handle is now solid and tight. Edge had a bit of a curve to it...like this ). Reground that until it is straight across.
    rehandled.JPG
    And honed to to about 1000 grit, for now. I did flatten the back a bit..
    chisel back.JPG
    Hey, for a dollar bill, not too hateful....

Sweet! That back looks like it has been to hell and back.... And that is one of the reasons that I would like to be able to turn, you could have some handle making fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Sweet! That back looks like it has been to hell and back.... And that is one of the reasons that I would like to be able to turn, you could have some handle making fun.
    Steven also proves there is no reason to not make a handle instead of beating on a socket if one cannot turn or doesn't own a lathe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The old lathe chisel MAY get a better handle...someday. Just was that great as a lathe chisel. Sander to make the handle fit the socket. Went a bit slow, kept checking the fit. Didn't need any hairspray.

Used to be able to turn handles.....lathe is now gone. Parted out the good stuff, will toss the rest. Would have cost too much to replace the motor, and belt system. Belt now powers the belt/disc sander.

I doubt IF this will need a ring on the end, for mallet work.....more of a slick type of use.

Could have used it the other day, when I was making those half-lap joints...

Blog Entries
    Would have cost too much to replace the motor, and belt system.
    The motor the previous owner put on my lathe is likely worth more than the rest of the lathe.

I am lucky on this account. My folks business used to sell and service washers and dryers. Every time my father junked a used appliance he saved the motor. I think I may have one left after all these years. Have one on my drill press and another on my bandsaw.

Most of the motors he had were from machines made in the 40s, 50s and 60s. As cost cutting came in the motors were made cheaper or with open frames instead of closed cases. Still might be a few good 1/3 & 1/4 horse motors available from appliance repair shops or old junk appliances.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

trying to save up enough to just buy a new lathe.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    trying to save up enough to just buy a new lathe.....
    My suspicion is you do that in a way similar to mine. Find old tools to rehab and sell them to raise money. It can be a lot of dirty work, but it is a way to turn one's spare time in to dollars.

jtk

Thinking, maybe...about a lathe from Harbor Freight.....about all I ever turn are spindles, legs, and handles. Don't have need, nor room, for anything big or fancy. Just a simple, basic lathe, will do.

Gave the slick a test run.....it will peel thin shavings with ease, I just need to finish hone work. up to 2.5K and then the strop. At least I won't have to worry about the chisel falling off the handle, and onto my toes. May add a leather strap on the handle, seeing how there is a hole for one...

As for the H-F lathe chisel......3/8" gouge.....wasn't ever that great.....maybe add a normal chisel handle (tanged) and regrind the edge into something better?

Could have used this chisel a few days ago..
    half lap3.JPG
    Would have made these a little easier to do....