Thread: Arm R Seal Semi gloss coming out cloudy?

Arm R Seal Semi gloss coming out cloudy?

I'm applying Arm R Seal Semi Gloss to a project, but for some reason it keeps coming out very cloudy.

I'm mixing the product well, and sanding with 400 between coats. Im using a clean old tee-shirt cut into squats for application.

I will say I'm trying to minimize my wipes (I'll try and put it in in two even strokes).

If I apply thin coats, I get almost 'burn marks' where part of the piece is shiny, and the rest dull (on the 4th or 5th coat...)

Any suggestions?

Need to see a pic. I can think of three possibilities:

1) Parts of surface are sealed and starting to build (shiny) while others (dull) need another couple coats to achieve same sheen
    2) Not mixed fully. Wiping can cause the flatteners to streak
    3) If you thinned with a contaminated thinner.
    4) After sanding, it takes a couple wiped coats until the sheen becomes even again.

I'll see if I can grab some later tonight after work.

I did mix it fairly well; nothing floating around. And I didn't dilute it at all.

Ive been standing between each coat. I'll try one more coat without sanding and see if that brightens it up?

Also, are you trying to lay down a coat with the rags? You don't want to do that. You want to wipe it on very thin. So thin that the surface should just look slick when done not thick and and wet.

Try sanding with 600 grit.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'll try the 600 grit and see.

I did use the rag (folded into a pad) for application. I will admit the last coat was quite thick... only because I was getting the shiny and dull areas with thinner coats.

I suppose I can sand back the finish a bit and try a few thin coats to see where that gets me.

Wiping/rubbing semi gloss is not what I recommend. However it should at worst be streaky. Is it blooming? Cheers

How about some photos? Cloudy to you may be something different to others. How many coats do you have on it? Once you get past 4 or 5 wiped on coats you can start to get the plastic like look, though I know some people are able to apply twice that number w/o problems, which just proves a thin coat to one person means something else to the next.

John

I've dealt with this problem for a while. It doesn't matter how well it's mixed; the flatteners get wiped around and leave streaks. The best solution I've found is to add some gloss to the semi-gloss or satin and then the streaking is a lot less noticeable.

I cannot answer this question from personal experience, but from what I have read... if you are building up a film forming finish and you are looking for a sheen other then high gloss, you should start with high gloss to build up the layers and then apply a version of the same finish in whatever less glossy sheen you want (satin, etc). I read the additives which make the finish anything but high gloss can start to look cloudy (after applied) once you have them built up with many layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Treibs View Post
    I cannot answer this question from personal experience, but from what I have read... if you are building up a film forming finish and you are looking for a sheen other then high gloss, you should start with high gloss to build up the layers and then apply a version of the same finish in whatever less glossy sheen you want (satin, etc). I read the additives which make the finish anything but high gloss can start to look cloudy (after applied) once you have them built up with many layers.
    I actually did use Gloss for the first two layers!

I tried capturing a photo, but no matter what angle or lens I used I just couldn't get the problem to appear in the photos.

I did apply another thin layer without sanding and it took care of the streaking problem, but the mottling/fog is still apparent.

What's the temp in your shop? Too cold seems to inhibit gloss.

It's my basement. Can't be cooler than 66*