Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What waterproof outdoor glue?

What waterproof outdoor glue?

I'm getting ready to build two 52" dia octagon back yard (non covered) picnic tables, one for me and one for my daughter. I bought approx $600 of white oak for the project (should have some left over for other smaller projects). I am replacing one I built for myself over 20 years ago out of redwood as its falling apart (used Penofin oil on it for years). I have titebond 3 (advertises as waterproof) or maybe I should buy some epoxy. I live in central Calif, mild winters (lows of 24 sometimes) and hot summers, low humidity. My question is what type of glue would you use, Titebond 3 or epoxy? I have designed to take into account a little expansion and contraction. And also, would you oil it or leave it be and just let it weather? If oil, what have you used that you would recommend? Thanks. Randy

Well, let me tell you my experience thus far and I don't live too far from you. I built a bench/pergola out of ipe. I decided to use (poly) Gorilla Glue (GG). It is supposed to be good for waterproof and good for oily'ish woods. Well, some of the decorative pieces I glued together (to make corbels to hide hardware) failed right at the joints. I did NOT wipe the ipe prior to gluing the boards together. Other sections that I glued and screwed, are fine...likely due to the screws. So I'm not so sure I'd recommend GG.

TB-III is supposed to handle such situations fine so I'd go for that one and see how it does. Epoxy, for sure, would do fine but it is kinda spendy. One trick I heard is to flood the wood with epoxy wherever it meets the ground. Likely, it'll be end-grain that meets the ground and for sure, it soaks up any moisture it comes into contact with. The epoxy will seal it and prevent that. You could just as easily flood it with TB-III.

As to what finish you want, natural weathering or semi-yearly oiling, is entirely up to you. I oiled my ipe and used a product specifically designed for ipe (it is called, you guessed it, Ipe Oil).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I used TBIII on some frame and panel WRC gates a few years ago. The glue is holding up just fine. I'm on the central coast of CA so my weather is a bit different, so YMMV.

Plastic resin glue hands down. Pre-catalyzed powder version is relatively inexpensive and has never let me down. Make sure your glue up is in a 70 degree F environment!

TB III if your joinery is good and you are cheap, PRG if you are less cheap, and epoxy if your joinery is not that good, you don't mind spending a little more, and you hate taking risks.

And just to show you I have nothing against TB III, I built a little bird feeder about 15 years ago. I glued up the top out of three pieces of 3" wide redwood, using TB III for the butt joints. It sits outside year round in western NY, with no love at all on my part. The top is curled, but those joints are still tight!

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    TB III if your joinery is good and you are cheap, PRG if you are less cheap, and epoxy if your joinery is not that good, you don't mind spending a little more, and you hate taking risks.

And just to show you I have nothing against TB III, I built a little bird feeder about 15 years ago. I glued up the top out of three pieces of 3" wide redwood, using TB III for the butt joints. It sits outside year round in western NY, with no love at all on my part. The top is curled, but those joints are still tight!

John
    Good answers, thanks! Interesting as I just built a birdhouse out of redwood and edge glued the joints with TBIII and its out in our garden (wifey wanted). However, only been out there a couple of months. Depending on what others say, might just use TBIII. Just hate to take risks, as you put it, with $600 worth of white oak and all the work I'm putting into these two tables. Its between that and the plastic resin that our Canadian friend recommended. Randy

Titebond can be really slow setting on redwood. For that reason I prefer to avoid it. Once cured it's fine. I found this out after having to call one of their reps about a glue up that was not setting .

Epoxy. Not worth using anything less. Cheers

I would go with epoxy as well. For something like this I would not use anything I hadn't tested personally in similar conditions.

If your joints are tight, I would take a shot at using PL Construction Adhesive. This stuff is amazing. Any outdoor project I build has this stuff in it and I have yet to see a failure. And I am a huge fan of TBIII, as well.

As I have not used epoxy in woodworking before, what brand do you use? And whats open and cure times normally? Randy

Slower cure epoxy is better than fast cure. It's stronger and less brittle. Any major brand will work. I'm currently using West Systems (as of last year) but for nearly 40 years I just picked up whatever was in the store I went to - usually Devcon.

I never use anything faster than 30 minute. If you order online be sure you're getting Adhesive and not epoxy for composites (sometimes called "Laminating Epoxy). Stuff for composites has a very low viscosity to easily penetrate the various cloths used (fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber, etc.)

Also I see tons of guys on youtube mix epoxy on a porous surface and then they just swirly it a few times. It needs to be mixed thoroughly and it's a good idea to let it set for a few minutes and then stir again.

I use plastic cups - usually one ounce medicine cups (I bought a case of 5,000 of them). But cleaned out yogurt cups or whatever you have that's plastic, metal or glass will work even though I think glass is a very bad idea in the workshop.

In the past few years I've started weighing epoxy when that's how it's supposed to be mixer per the instructions. Before that I used the graduations on the cup to measure. Some epoxies are by volume so that would be the right way to go but some are by weight.

So I put my cup on an accurate postal scale, press the Tare function (to zero out the weight of the cup) and then add both parts of epoxy. If I'm mixing a large batch then I dispense into separate cups. I put one part in a cup more than large enough for both parts. Then pour the other part in, mix well, wait a few minutes, mix again and apply.

I don't do anything special to prepare the wood. But you do want it to grab so having some texture is good. In other words, don't sand to 15,000 grit. 80-220 is a good stopping point, then wipe off the dust and tac rag.

For this type of project I would use West 610 epoxy. That product is thicker and has a mixing tube so you can use a standard caulking gun. You can find it at boat repair shops. It was about $20 per tube here in Canada, but due to the mixing head in the tube you do not get the same volume of adhesive out of tube that you do with a tube of caulking.

PL Premium from the local hardware shop is another good option. It is a structural adhesive, easily applied, and also easy to find. It is a polyurethane, so cleanup is not nearly as nice as TBII or even an epoxy. I have glued down concrete cap stones for a retaining wall with this and it works very well. I did some testing with different adhesives when I made some flooring borders as well. The borders were made of 1/2" baltic birch with a 5mm thick wear layer of tigerwood. I submerged the wear layer into water, but made sure the baltic birch substrate was not submerged. After three days being submerged the bond between the two did not fail.

I know where Chris was coming from with his project, but I would not fully discount gorilla glue either. IPE and some of the other tropical hardwoods are unique when it comes to adhesives. They are far denser than your Oak and these woods are far more likely to win the war when it comes to the fight between wood shrinkage and glue bond. I completed a deck project in Cumaru that was comprised of many many glue ups. For some parts I resorted to veneering 1/16" Cumaru to a stable substrate after I found that the adhesives would not hold up over the hot summer/cold winter months. In other areas that are more exposed to the weather I opted to replace parts with a different wood that looked similar. Unless this wood is dried perfectly it will break virtually any bond if it twists or dries. IPE/Cumaru and others like it belong in tropical climates where the wood is happiest. At the end of that project my conclusion was the only option to connect parts made with these woods is to use screws if the finished product is outdoors. You can read about a guys disaster project on the woodweb where he tried to use an IPE floor indoors.
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 05-26-2017 at 7:43 PM.

Randall

Here's an old thread, that should be an article, to make it easier to find, on the subject of glue/adhesives. There is a lot of info in it.
    I don't know if Bob is still about these days, but he's a fabulous resource.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nts-Repairable
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a two story round Victorian gazebo out there for over thirty years now that is all CGV redwood bent laminated over forms on such things as the railings and facias. It is still in perfect shape except where the landscapers decided that the sprinklers should water the railings. I used resorcinal [spelling?]. Its cheap, easy to work with, and lasts a long time.

I get rid of Titebond 3 on my cloths by soaking for a day before washing. I do not believe it is good enough for outside, at least not in my climate.

Epoxy would be second choice. West System is my epoxy of choice.

Just thought I would confuse the issue............