Thread: Using a Vac U Vin to store finishes

Using a Vac U Vin to store finishes

Hi,
    Has anyone here experimented with using a Vac U Vin for storing finishes? I'm talking about the plastic device that looks like a mini plunger they sell for wine aficionados to suction the air out of an opened wine bottle to allow the wine to last a little longer. It relies on these inexpensive grey stoppers. Since the thing creates a vacuum inside the bottle by manually sucking out all the air I thought it would work for preserving finishes, especially oil varnish finishes that can skin over and start coalescing. The stoppers might fit empty beer or soda bottles if wine bottles are too large for storage needs. I tend to prefer more smaller containers for storing finishes.

If this has not been tried yet, I will give it a try and report back. Didn't see mention of it in the archives.

Edwin, I own the Vac U Vin product that we use to preserve wine, actually the product seems to work pretty good (even better when wine is stored in the refrigerator and evacuated). Have to confess I never though of using it for oil varnishes, sounds like an interesting idea..

I use them for wine and like them, but have found them to lose the vacuum on rare occasion, particularly as the "cork" part gets a little older. I've also seen a video or article where a guy used them to vacuum press small items, like maybe a skateboard deck? No idea how they'd work for your purpose, but interested in hearing your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    Has anyone here experimented with using a Vac U Vin for storing finishes? I'm talking about the plastic device that looks like a mini plunger they sell for wine aficionados to suction the air out of an opened wine bottle to allow the wine to last a little longer. It relies on these inexpensive grey stoppers. Since the thing creates a vacuum inside the bottle by manually sucking out all the air I thought it would work for preserving finishes, especially oil varnish finishes that can skin over and start coalescing. The stoppers might fit empty beer or soda bottles if wine bottles are too large for storage needs. I tend to prefer more smaller containers for storing finishes.

If this has not been tried yet, I will give it a try and report back. Didn't see mention of it in the archives.
    I haven't tried a vacuum (holding a vacuum might be a problem) but I keep the oxygen away with a gas - that works well. The argon in a can from Bloxygen is priced higher than gold and diamonds but argon or another gas to displace the oxygen works as well and is way cheaper. I have a spare nitrogen tank in my shop with a regulator and plastic tubing - I put the tube into the can and turn on a low rate of gas while holding the lid almost closed. Run a little gas in then pull the tube and press down or screw on the lid. Even though nitrogen is, unlike argon, nominally lighter than oxygen, it doesn't matter in this case.

JKJ

Me, I didn't find a Vacuvin to preserve the wine well enough. I suspect it doesn't get enough air out of the bottle. I've had much much better experience with wine bags. These are sealable plastic bags which you can squeeze to remove all the air before you close it. Here's one example -- https://www.platy.com/catalog/produc...e/category/44/

It turns out that Lee Valley now sells the same storage bag technology for finishes. I'll bet it works really well. http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...190,44133&ap=1

I use Bloxygen. Yes, it's expensive. No, not really. It's still a lot cheaper than even a single can of Arm-R-Seal, and I'm still using the first can of Bloxygen I bought about 2 or 3 years ago. I've stored a half full quart can of Arm-R-Seal for 6 months and it's like new when I open it again. I'm sure the bags others mentioned work well; but cans are easier to store and you don't need to re-label them. You wouldn't to use Bloxygen with a gallon can of finish. You'd empty the Bloxygen pretty quickly. In that case, I'd transfer it to quart cans and use one at a time, or go with the bags.

John