Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Own A Try Square?

Why Do You Own A Try Square?

Virtually everyone I see, it seems, has both a try square and a combination square. As I am beginner, I figured there was some very basic reason that my lack of experience prevented me from understanding. Don't question the experts, right? Well here I am, a couple years into this endeavor, and I still don't understand why people have anything in addition to a good combination square. Speak forth, oh wise herd. Is it because Andre Roubo had one and we all want to be thought of as hip and cool among our peers? Am I missing something here?

Z9298.jpg

I have a good combination square, a speed square (nothing beats it for breaking down rough lumber), a framing square, and a small try square. They are listed in order of how often they are used.

I don't see any place where you'd have to have a tri-square. A combination square will do the job.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mathew I use a combo most of the time. If Im setting up to bore vertical t find the try square more stable and easier to clamp in place if need be. I also use it if the combo is set up with something I want to keep. The combo is always out but the try is within reach.
    Jim

Thanks for asking this question. I have wondered about this often recently, but since my combination square is doing everything I need, I just never asked. I think James Pallas' answer is a good one. That last part is reason enough to own another combination square, as well. I need to look for a good vintage one while I'm out roaming about this weekend.

Sometimes they just seem to get the job done..
    square.JPG
    I happen to have a few of each of the combos and the trys....not sure where my old speed square is. Still have my framing square.
    tools1.JPG
    There is both a small combo square AND a small try square......was using both.....
    test fit.JPG
    Seemed to work out fine when doing some joinery work...

I use smaller try squares than what Mr. Schwarz advocates, primarily for checking square and flat on smaller members like rails, stiles and legs. Therefore, speed and agility are high priority. For checking and laying out wide stuff, I use a carpenter's square.

Combo squares are too delicate. They are useful tools, and I always have a Starrett Combo square in my toolbox. But I don't use it a lot. I have a small Veritas sliding square I use to check mortise depths, but that's about all.

Wooden squares are pretty, but since I use my squares for layout with a marking knife, and durability is more important than looking cool, wooden try squares are pointless IMO.

A try square weighs less than a combo square, therefore is handier.

A try square is less bulky than a combo square, therefore is handier.

A try square is less likely to be damaged if dropped, therefore more durable.

A try square lacks the sliding blade, therefore, retains tolerances better.

A try square (at least the ones I use) are hardened stainless steel, and therefore are more durable for layout with a marking knife than any combo square I have experienced.

A try square is cheaper than a combo square of the same level of quality and precision.

I like the Matsui squares. High precision, as in professional machinist tool precision, not home center quality. Very important is the hardened stainless steel, when using a marking knife. A very rare feature. Deep, positive markings that easily retain the tip of a marking knife are very useful too.

Stan
    sukoy-top760.jpgMatsuiSukoyaSmall.jpg

Truth be known I use my speed square a lot, but it really depends on the job and the size of it which type and size that gets used.
    Rick

Blog Entries
    I may be the odd one. I use a 4" engineer's square 90% of the time. Next try square and combination square. Very ocassionally speed square and framing square. All get used.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hutchinson477 View Post
    Virtually everyone I see, it seems, has both a try square and a combination square. As I am beginner, I figured there was some very basic reason that my lack of experience prevented me from understanding. Don't question the experts, right? Well here I am, a couple years into this endeavor, and I still don't understand why people have anything in addition to a good combination square. Speak forth, oh wise herd. Is it because Andre Roubo had one and we all want to be thought of as hip and cool among our peers? Am I missing something here?

Z9298.jpg
    Mathew,

Here come a long answer. A good combination square will do anything you need to do. But, there is that damn but, a set of try squares along with a set of combination squares will make it much easier. I have combination squares from 3" to 12" and try squares from 6" to 12" and each will do a specific job easier than one of the other squares.

Here is the conundrum: If you can have only one square the best 12" combination square you can find is the one to own but if you have a set of squares like mine the 12" combination square will likely be the least used of the bunch. Go figure.

ken

I'll throw one more in - I really like the little 4" PEC double square for a lot of things (and picked up a similar starret as a spare for a couple bucks at an estate sale).. Its just the ticket to check if you're edge jointing is square on a board or drawing a line just inset from and edge or....

On the combo square I've found the smaller lighter 6" one to be much more useful than the larger 12" but if i had to pick two I guess I'd get a 12" combo and a 4" or 6" double.

I have some decent tri squares but rarely use them myself, there is certainly the argument that they should be more accurate but I haven't found it matters for most of what I make as its not the square that's the problem there

I'd venture that what you make and how you work will guide what works best for you.

For me a combo square is often too big so I grab the try square, a 6" double square, or even more often, the machinist's squares.

A precision double square is probably more useful than the try square. Having had several brands, I now stick to Starrett for squares with sliding parts like combo and double squares. I find theirs easier to read than most, too.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hutchinson477 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    For me a combo square is often too big so I grab the try square, a 6" double square, or even more often, the machinist's squares.

A precision double square is probably more useful than the try square. Having had several brands, I now stick to Starrett for squares with sliding parts like combo and double squares. I find theirs easier to read than most, too.

JKJ

For some of us (speaking for myself anyway) squares are like planes. I can never seem to get enough. I could not agree more about the combo square, that is my most used square and I have a few of them. I also stick with Starrett for combo and double squares, I do have a precision engineering I got when I was new though. I also originally had a Swanson combo that turned out to not be square or become bad.

One of the reasons I have a lot of spares is I tend to leave them near the tool I have to check. My miter saw has a fixed square, table saw, then there is the special square for the MFT/3 table etc. I liked having squares the right sizes and shapes for those tools.

A lot of the try squares were inherited or picked up cheap at yard sales. Why not use them,too? Did you get rid of your
    VCR when DVR came in? .....That's not really the best example....

Blog Entries
    Various combo squares do not seem as handy to use as fixed try squares imo.

When working with 1X12 a large framing square is often used. Of late a pair of stair gauges on my small framing square have been useful to jerry rig a larger try square.

If a 14" try square shows itself to me on a rust hunt it will come home with me if it is within my budget.

Maybe tomorrow a picture of the square line up from my shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)