Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Own A Try Square?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    If the suggested method is difficult it might be that square isn't the biggest issue you have to deal with.
    And that would be?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    And you can guarantee to do that without any shadow of a doubt and measure the parallelism of both lines?
    I can guarantee to do it with enough precision to suite my needs.

Testing more than once with repeated results gives me confidence of my squares being capable of doing their job.

Any serious error will show up elsewhere during a woodworking project.

I am not about to invest in a surface plate and/or precision equipment for the sole purpose of checking my squares. There are many ways to check the work pieces against each other during a project to indicate problems with one's marking equipment.

Chris, if the problem you mention was of concern to me, I would be worried about marking a simple line to guide a saw cut.

And getting back to the original focus of this thread of why own a try square, it is because to me they are more useful than a combination square and tend to be more accurate. Repeated results with combination squares showing various degrees of error got me to strip their usable parts and throw a few of them into the garbage bin. So far none of my try squares have shown such inaccuracy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm just a beginner myself and this topic is of interest to me because so far I restrained from buying a combination square. I bought several try squares. Each time I was thinking about ordering combination square I thought that try square is more use to me and more value for me for the money. But still thinking about the reason why, albeit opposite to OP - why combination square?

Why try square? They are cheaper, simple, come in different sizes.
    Why not combination square? Scribing parallel line or measuring depth is done already by other tools - marking gauges, incra T-rules and calipers. Any another good reason to have it sliding?

I was thinking more in direction of buying large beveled square for reference checking as mentioned above and small beveled square for checking stock ends/edges. And small double square for checking for square inside dovetails or mortises. In this case I think it better be sliding beam to adjust for all possible small sizes. Is Starret combination square beam (or ruler) is better for checking against the light than traditional try square? (Is it kind of slightly beveled?)

As a funny note, I can say that here in Europe there is no obsession with combination (sliding) square. Also, it is not required to have cabinet table saw to do woodworking. In the beginning (after reading and watching internet) I had believe that I have to have both Was hoping to see comments from Kees Heiden or other European woodworkers

Another funny note, I find it less convenient to have leaps (?) on try squares, like incra or woodpeckers aluminium squares. I think it is useful for sheet goods, but not in small 6" or similar sizes. Recently, Woodpecker had one-time-tool with stainless steel beams but also with sticking out ruler on the stock part. I spotted on Derek's photo a try square with retractable middle piece. That looks promising for me to drool about buying it

Blog Entries
    Here in the states, there is an old saying "Different Strokes for Different Folks". I think this subject fits that category. If you can afford it, get one of each. I have several and use the one that suits me at the time. They are not expensive here.

Blog Entries
    Is the proper spelling trisquare , trysquare, try square, or tri square?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    When my dictionary is checked with tri-square it comes up thus:

Try Square.png

Tri suggests three functions. Even when a wooden try square has a 45º check built in it still only has two functions unless you count a ruler on the blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Jim has it right. Definitely "TRY" square. From the 1300's meaning "examine judiciously, discover by evaluation, test."

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=try

Combination squares definitely have their uses.

The blade of a combo square can be set to a distance that must be repeatedly checked or measured, but which a marking gauge cannot reach, or where the beam gets in the way. A try square can't do this.

In carpentry, the combo square's blade is extended to a distance from the edge of a board, a pencil is held against the blade's end, combo and pencil are moved together, and a reliable pencil line is made. Not as accurate as a marking gauge, but quicker, and good enough for most carpentry work. Can't do this with a try square.

When fitting hinges and hardware to cabinets, a combo square can be used with a marking knife on the end of the blade to mark the far limit of the hardware's location. Can't do that with a try square.

Useful for all sorts of indexing work.

When doing some layout work, a try square's blade may be either too long or too short for the situation, whereas a combo square's blade is easily adjusted to fit.

A combo square is unsurpassed for quickly and accurately checking the depth of large mortises. Can't do that with a try square.

None of these operations require an expensive, highly accurate combo square, BTW.

Stan

Oxford English Dictionary says "try" square

Stanley, 100% agreed. I'm a carpenter and have been working on hanging / installing hardware for a house full of all different types of doors lately. There were times that I used a try square in conjunction with 2 or 3 combo squares to ensure accurate and repeatable layout. It would have been slower and potentially less accurate without them. Laying out hinges, locksets, stops, and strikes are all jobs that greatly benefit from combo squares.

Combo squares are just another tool to help us get different jobs done accurately and efficiently. Try squares also have their place under the sun, and I'm glad they are around and available.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Combination squares definitely have their uses.

The blade of a combo square can be set to a distance that must be repeatedly checked or measured, but which a marking gauge cannot reach, or where the beam gets in the way. A try square can't do this.

In carpentry, the combo square's blade is extended to a distance from the edge of a board, a pencil is held against the blade's end, combo and pencil are moved together, and a reliable pencil line is made. Not as accurate as a marking gauge, but quicker, and good enough for most carpentry work. Can't do this with a try square.

When fitting hinges and hardware to cabinets, a combo square can be used with a marking knife on the end of the blade to mark the far limit of the hardware's location. Can't do that with a try square.

Useful for all sorts of indexing work.

When doing some layout work, a try square's blade may be either too long or too short for the situation, whereas a combo square's blade is easily adjusted to fit.

A combo square is unsurpassed for quickly and accurately checking the depth of large mortises. Can't do that with a try square.

None of these operations require an expensive, highly accurate combo square, BTW.

Stan
    Yes, there are good uses for combination and adjustable squares.

For a line at a set distance from an edge my Odd Jobs is used for pencil lines or lines too far from the edge for a marking gauge.

For hinge layouts a wheel or pin gauge works well. Often I get out my #95 butt gauge.

Funny you mention a try square not being good for marking lines parallel to an edge.

A Squre Group.jpg

If you look closely at the second try square from the top on the left you can see where a previous owner drilled holes for the purpose of drawing lines parallel to the edge. It is not as convenient as the a combination square. If one has a steady hand it can be rested on the blade, holding a pencil while moving the square along an edge. With a bit of practice it becomes a natural feeling maneuver.

A combination square is also good for making repeated stepped marks. If you want marks ever X distance for setting shelf pins or any other need the blade can be set and then set the end against the first mark and the second mark is drawn against the stock or set the stock on the mark and draw against the end of the blade.

My try squares are more comfortable in the hand. If you look you will see that all but one have had finger grips carved into them. When they or the Odd Jobs can not handle the job one of my combination squares gets to do the work.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, there are good uses for combination and adjustable squares.

For a line at a set distance from an edge my Odd Jobs is used for pencil lines or lines too far from the edge for a marking gauge.

For hinge layouts a wheel or pin gauge works well. Often I get out my #95 butt gauge.

Funny you mention a try square not being good for marking lines parallel to an edge.

A Squre Group.jpg

If you look closely at the second try square from the top on the left you can see where a previous owner drilled holes for the purpose of drawing lines parallel to the edge. It is not as convenient as the a combination square. If one has a steady hand it can be rested on the blade, holding a pencil while moving the square along an edge. With a bit of practice it becomes a natural feeling maneuver.

A combination square is also good for making repeated stepped marks. If you want marks ever X distance for setting shelf pins or any other need the blade can be set and then set the end against the first mark and the second mark is drawn against the stock or set the stock on the mark and draw against the end of the blade.

My try squares are more comfortable in the hand. If you look you will see that all but one have had finger grips carved into them. When they or the Odd Jobs can not handle the job one of my combination squares gets to do the work.

jtk
    Thanks for the insight, Jim.

My father was a carpenter and always used a combination square (well before the days of the speed square) as a marking gauge with a pencil held on a mark on the blade. He got pretty good accuracy doing this, but I never could.

The Odd Job is a strange tool that I have seen in tool catalogs, but never played with. Pretty useful for carpentry work? What about more precise cabinet work?

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 05-30-2017 at 6:30 AM.

At least overhere in Holland the combination square is not very common. I think it only came on the market relatively late, under influence of English/American habbits or brands entering our market.

I have one, it was as cheapy (of course, I always seem to end up in the cheap corner) probably made in the far east. It wasn't very square when I got it and needed readjusting. But I use a try square all the time at the bench and the combination square leads a sheltered life in a cupboard. A trysquare is just simpler and quicker to use for most jobs.

I quit buying second hand try squares. The edges are usually worn out, not straight anymore, not very square either. So it is a good idea to check your own square from time to time. I use the method Jim posted about, usually with a piece of plywood. An undisturbed factory edge is way straight enough for me to do this test.

And yes I did the test of rotating the square around a bit of squared timber and seeing if the ends meet. But it doesn't tell if the timber was really square or if the square itself isn't square anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post

And yes I did the test of rotating the square around a bit of squared timber and seeing if the ends meet. But it doesn't tell if the timber was really square or if the square itself isn't square anymore.
    Kees

That is exactly my point.

Stan

I like my combination square. It is one of the more expensive tools I have, but has been very reliable, and does 90% of what I need in a square. With the rotating protractor head I picked up, it is even more useful.

I have an odd job, but have not found it to be something I reach for. If I am going somewhere and need something that fits in a shirt pocket, it is good for that. It will do many of the things a combination square will do.