Thread: Bartering for services

Bartering for services

Just wondering if anyone has bartered for laser engraving?
    One of the guys in the PGR I ride with asked if I could engrave his amber len's on his bike. He wanted an eagle head engraved in all 4 len's. I said sure give me the len's. He popped the off his bike I took them home and engraved the eagle head in the len's. Brought them back and he said how much. I said hey were good. no, no no got to give ya something. So I'm thinking and I ask if he ever comes across dead rattle snakes out at his place , I said I want to make a snake skin holster. So he's gonna get me a snake skin for the engraving's I did for him. Makes me think I can barter a whole lot.Maybe get the girls to cook me sometin good LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Sure, I bartered for an AR-15 from one of my gun manufactures I do engraving for. It's still taxable, but was worth it to me. Also bartered a tabletop engraving for a custom gun rack to hold my 1845 Plains Rifle. I even bartered with Pete Rose - Engraved some bats for a free autograph.

Remember bartering IS taxable here in the states.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Seems like a very convenient thing to forget to me.

Everything in moderation. I barter, but very little if ever.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Wow thats some awesome Bartering Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Sure, I bartered for an AR-15 from one of my gun manufactures I do engraving for. It's still taxable, but was worth it to me. Also bartered a tabletop engraving for a custom gun rack to hold my 1845 Plains Rifle. I even bartered with Pete Rose - Engraved some bats for a free autograph.

Remember bartering IS taxable here in the states.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Forget what Art . Do you mean that people will forget they bartered services. Why do you think that. Its payment just like money. I'm going to pay you with dollar bills or I'm going to pay you with and home made apple pie. I guess people forget to pay the money some might forget they owe you a Pie. Personally I think your more likely to get paid if you barter services. I'll have your engravings ready when you drop off the pie, no 30 day BS.I'm just sayin in some cases its mutually beneficial for both party's to exchange services.
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Seems like a very convenient thing to forget to me.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Forget what Art . Do you mean that people will forget they bartered services. Why do you think that. Its payment just like money. I'm going to pay you with dollar bills or I'm going to pay you with and home made apple pie. I guess people forget to pay the money some might forget they owe you a Pie. Personally I think your more likely to get paid if you barter services. I'll have your engravings ready when you drop off the pie, no 30 day BS.I'm just sayin in some cases its mutually beneficial for both party's to exchange services.
    I believe Art was referring to Tim's comment and accidentally forgetting about the barter when it comes time to pay the tax man.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by John Kleiber View Post
    Everything in moderation. I barter, but very little if ever.
    Quite a few years ago, I was in a networking group. One of the guys had a service business. A person from a Barter Service (yes, they do exist!) came in and sold him on it. He talked about bartering all the time. He got this for doing that, etc. He was a one man operation and he was asking us for help in growing his business. One of the guys told him he needed to do something that was $15 a month. He said "I don't think you understand, my mortgage is past due, and I don't have $15 to spend".

We all thought "Well, if you had people actually give you CASH for your services, then maybe you could make your mortgage payment"

It took him a while, but he finally figured it out. There are barter exchanges where you earn points in the network and you can build up those points and use them for other people's services. We never did much of it. Maybe a little in the industry "You print this for me, and I'll engrave that for you", but very very little of it. Haven't done any in a long time now.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I did it a lot, but more with vinyl lettering than laser. For example, letter a truck and trailer for a tree service, and they remove two big dead trees. One woman with a nmasage business wanted to give me a massage for back window lettering on her car. I passed and took the cash.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Yikes I'd of taken the massage
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I did it a lot, but more with vinyl lettering than laser. For example, letter a truck and trailer for a tree service, and they remove two big dead trees. One woman with a nmasage business wanted to give me a massage for back window lettering on her car. I passed and took the cash.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have had a number of requests to barter and thinking back, the other person has always initiated it ... or my LOML has initiated the trade. I have done it a number of times where the person has supplied the product and I keep the leftover product. This has allowed me to experiment with items I wouldn't normally have bought.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

--all this reminds me of the guy who started bartering with a paperclip and ended up with a house...

Me, I don't barter much. Not because I don't like to or anything, it's more that the opportunity hasn't presented itself. Or at least, a 'fair' one... About the only thing I ever straight-across bartered was trading my '76 Firebird for a '54 Ford Victoria...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle