Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Bowl turning injury

Serious Bowl turning injury

Cindy Drozda reports a bad lathe accident over on WOW. Herman DeVries posts a facebook link in the thread. I don't have a facebook account, so I cannot personally access it, but others may want to take a look. Safety at the lathe is so important!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Link doesn't work for me.

I also have not been able to access it. How serious was it?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

The only thing I know is that it was a serious head injury, and some talk of the turner using a recess for a large bowl, and high rpm's. Members of wow can see the thread for themselves,. Someone mentioned a pic, but I have not seen any of it due to not being a facebook member. Perhaps someone with ability to access the info can report back here.

This was recently on Facebook. It said he was wearing a face shield and was recovering in ICU.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

That is bad! Thanks for posting Bob!

It was commented on at our club meeting tonight. He was supposedly wearing a face shield. Don't know if he was in line of fire or not.

robo hippy

Here is some text from WOWS. I understand that this is taken from the facebook post, so I hope it's OK to copy here.

"He was using a vicmark chuck, and had it internally chucked. It was a big piece of walnut, about 16" wide, 6" high and 3/4" thick at the rim, almost 1 1/2" at the base. He was done carving the bowl and was power sanding the outside, going at a high rate of speed. The bowl split in two and several chunks came off. Not sure the size of the chunk that hit him. It shattered the window behind the lathe.

He was using a Uvex shield and there is a piece of the frame missing at the forehead. The frame is completely split."
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Another non-Facebook user. Can someone summarize how this could have been prevented?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Another non-Facebook user. Can someone summarize how this could have been prevented?
    Using a tenon for larger, heavier blanks is a better hold [usually] than a recess. Power sanding at high lathe speed can put side pressure on the outside of the form acting as a lever to pry the piece off the jaws. Inspecting the wood carefully for cracks, etc is important. Power sanding can generate heat, and produce cracking in the wood, so stopping often to inspect can help identify what is happening to the wood as you go to each grit.

Use light pressure when sanding, and use jaws with a mechanical hold [either dovetail or serrated]. Sanding is more effective when the lathe is at low rpm's.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Using a tenon for larger, heavier blanks is a better hold [usually] than a recess. Power sanding at high lathe speed can put side pressure on the outside of the form acting as a lever to pry the piece off the jaws. Inspecting the wood carefully for cracks, etc is important. Power sanding can generate heat, and produce cracking in the wood, so stopping often to inspect can help identify what is happening to the wood as you go to each grit.

Use light pressure when sanding, and use jaws with a mechanical hold [either dovetail or serrated]. Sanding is more effective when the lathe is at low rpm's.
    This is what I have been taught - wonder what RPM he was at?

I had not hear of this so thanks for bringing it to our attention.I have been hit hard once in the faceshield and it was frightening. It is always good to be reminded of safe woodturning practices and I hope this fellow turner makes a complete recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I don't know about this specific accident, but Lynne Yamaguchi Blog'd about a serious accident she suffered and the research she did into turning safety:

http://lynneyamaguchi.com/index.php/...dent-recovery/

If you dig into her posts, you can find a couple PDFs with articles and analysis she did on turning. (Short story: masks are for keeping tiny bits out of your eyes and face, not for impacts from chunks with serious mass.)

It certainly appears that a sharp edge of the broken portion of the bowl sliced up his forehard or possibly a section of his broken face shield. That is a long laceration for a blunt object impact. Something spinning up his head or being forced by a trailing object. That's a lot of staples.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bob, it could also be that they needed to do brain surgery on him. That would explain the number of staples. Every time they open up my head (I'm at 6 times, I think), I'm surprised at the number of staples it requires.
    Paul