Thread: Exterior finish for wooden restaurant table

Exterior finish for wooden restaurant table

Hello what would be an acceptable budget finish for a wooden table to be used outside a restaurant. They will be used for 1 week only and will be cleaned by waiters all day. A salesman told me I should use Varathane Oil based outdoor finish or Helmsman Spar Urethane. Just checking here before I decide to go with one of these. And also these are oil based, is there a big difference if I used water based? (I would like to let the tables dry indoors until they're ready)

Also I am just making the top part of a table which is going to be made out of birch plywood (russian birch veneer)
    Last edited by Sterling Wong; 05-25-2017 at 11:30 PM.
    Epilog Mini 60 Watt
    Trotec Speedy 300 60 Watt

I'd use paint. I'm always skeptical about people outside on a nice day being impressed by beautiful wood grain. Don't think a lot of pics will be taken on B&W film. Even unfinished plywood with cheap table clothes are more festive than stained plywood.

I won't be staining them, just need to put a durable finish on it because they'll be cleaned often from rags / water etc. These are temporary tables used during a weekly event that happens a few times a year so they dont need to look fancy
    Epilog Mini 60 Watt
    Trotec Speedy 300 60 Watt

I understand they don't need to be fancy. They do need to be finished in a way that asures that diners and table wipers don't file law suits from being injured by big peeling plywood lams. Paint (and or) plastic table covers would do that cheaply and well. And perhaps people would be willing to dine on colorful ,clean ,and safe tables.

Mel, you make good points, but I don't believe the OP has control over that. He was merely asked to make the tables and put a finish on them.

Sterling, the varnish you mention is relatively inexpensive and will do what you ask. Three brushed coats minimum. Ideally, you want at least 30 days to cure for any finish. There still may be reaction from cleaners, but as you note, they don't have to look "fabulous".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

All the above being said I too would encourage you to use paint. A coat of primer followed by 2 coats of a good exterior paint will look great, provide lots of protection, and be easy to touch up in a few years (especially if you DON'T use a custom color).

My choice would be to use a marine paint such as PETITT EASYPOXY but depending where you live trying to get this stuff will be a pain and it's a bit on the pricey side. Otherwise just good exterior paint - even a porch floor paint - over the recommended primer. Especially important to ease (sand slightly round) the edges of the plywood (to help eliminate splinters) and then to make certain that the exposed edges are all sealed well with your paint. I would paint the underside of the tables too (if time and budget allow). This will help the table tops to stay flat and age more gracefully.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

If the edges of the table tops are eased nearly any OB varnish will survive a week of abuse. 3 or 4 coats should do fine. Paint and varnish aren't that different. One is opaque, the other clear.

John

Op has made an edit, I think the earlier version said they would be used for a short time every year, not just for one wing ding.

Yes they might be used a few times every summer about a few days to a week for each event

Im leaning towards the varnish that I postednow deciding to use water or oil based
    I would like to have them drying indoors unless its crucial to use oilbased

For the paint I would also try that but the budget sounds like it may be more costly, we re keeping the budget low since these tables are used occasionally

After coating though can they still be painted in the future?

I know a guy who refinishes tables for some Starbucks outlets in his area. He uses MinWax OB polyurethane varnish for the tops. He claims they last several years of the daily cleaning assault before needing to be refinished.

I don't know of a low cost WB varnish that would offer comparable performance. There are several really good WB products, but they aren't cheap, like $90+ at retail per gallon.

John

You might also look at putting a clear penetrating epoxy sealer on the tables as a primer. This seals up the wood and gives the varnish something to grip. It will extend the life of the finish quite a bit.