Thread: first finished project in a while

first finished project in a while

I made two of these for a couple of the 4th grade boys in my Wednesday night church group. For those of you without kids or a nerdy bent, these are Minecraft (the game) torches. I thought them a fitting reward for good behavior and attendance, and they are a good reminder of Psalms 119:105. The wood is walnut, mahogany, pine, red oak and white oak and the top is clear and colored acrylic and LOTS of CA glue. There are some obvious flaws, but the boys couldn't be happier.

mc torch 1.jpg
    mc torch 2.jpg
    mc torch 3.jpg

Creative idea!

A mini flashlight provides the light?

Also, where did you find the acrylic blocks?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williamson View Post
    Creative idea!

A mini flashlight provides the light?

Also, where did you find the acrylic blocks?

Thanks
    Thanks Brian! Yes, the light is a small LED flashlight. In hindsight I should have bought ones that were uniform diameter and/or a standard size. The lights I used were 1-1/16 at the body and about 1-7/16 at the lens. Not bit sizes I had handy so I drilled it as close as I could and reamed it the rest of the way with the bit. Not ideal, but it worked.

I made the cube from 1/8" acrylic. I made all the cuts on my bandsaw with a tease blade. Again, not ideal, but after I made the first one I realized that the cut didn't have to be clean. Just straight. Medium superglue quickly filled the gaps. The colored squares I cut from sheets of colored acetate. I did a thick layer of CA glue on top of the acetate and sanded flat with 120 grit for the translucent look.