Thread: Miter Gauge Auxilary Fence

Question Miter Gauge Auxilary Fence

I'm making an auxiliary fence to mount on the front of my table saw miter gauge. I've tried making the fence so that it extends past the saw blade to prevent tear out, but every time I change angles on the miter I wind up with new cutouts and have to replace the auxiliary fence. Similarly, when using a dado blade I remove significant material from the fence and it no longer prevents tear out. Is there any other solution than just making multiple auxiliary fences dependent on the application?

How about making it with a sliding dovetail so when the end gets all cut up, just cut off the end and slide the fence over so you have a new fence. Start with an extra six inches or so and it should last a while before it needs replacement. I'd make a few replacements initially when you have the tooling setup.

Forget the dovetail.

Set your fence up with a T Slot. Drill two holes in your permanent fence for T bolts (like the ones used to fasten toilets to the flange). Then you mill a T slot in your sacrificial fence. If you do not have a cutter, you can also mill a groove for the T bolt, then use two pieces of thin material (mdf works well) to create the T shape.

Get this, I have several aluminum fences with T slots in them. Sorta dumb because you do not want the bolts moving. A t slot on top is handy for attaching a sliding stop though, but on the face of the face...not so much.

I just use a piece of plywood and move it along until it is dead, then flip it over and end for end.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Blog Entries
    I do the t-slot thing. I face the whole fence with sandpaper to add grip. As the portion that the blade will pass through changes I slide the fence one way or the other reusing the different created cuts many times. When it gets too chewed, I lop it off and repeat the procedure. When it gets too short, I toss it and grab a new one. I make a half a dozen at a time since making 6 only takes a fraction more time than making one. Although on a different jig, here's an example of a glued-up t-slot that was mentioned earlier:

GCS-v2 Shop Made- 016.jpg

For my more general use cuts I milled a piece of hardwood to fit my Incra extrusion. I glue on a "flag" of sacrificial material and replace it as required. I have one for 45's and one for 90's. They will last about a year before I have to take a few minutes and glue up another one.

Incra v-27 mod (1).jpg . Incra v-27 mod (2).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-27-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In over 40 years as a professional woodworker I've never once wished I had a more complicated miter gage. Just include a piece of scrap between the gage and the workpiece.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    In over 40 years as a professional woodworker I've never once wished I had a more complicated miter gage. Just include a piece of scrap between the gage and the workpiece.
    He did not ask for a more complicated miter gage.

I know a couple of "professional woodworkers"....both of them are missing body parts. I know guys who call themselves "professionals" who have done thing the wrong way their entire "professional" careers. My favorite is a guy who is soooo "professional" he free hand cuts on a table saw. Of course, that is because he has been doing it for 30+ years. Takes a "professional" to be able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I gotta go with Andy on this I've been in the game since 73 and have gone through many scraps and still have all my body parts.
    Professional woodworker no, professional carpenter yes!

Blog Entries
    In my shop, auxiliary fences get used, cut up, modified, and replaced. That's why they are auxiliary.

I've done it both ways. Either answer works, right? Another one of those things where what one person prefers is different than another. As long as both work safely, chose what suits.
    Fred

Thanx-----Certainly the easiest solution.

Thanx Fred, I sort of felt that was the answer I would get ----but with so many sharp innovative folks on here I thought maybe someone had a unique solution

Quote Originally Posted by John Matulionis View Post
    Thanx Fred, I sort of felt that was the answer I would get ----but with so many sharp innovative folks on here I thought maybe someone had a unique solution
    I know what you mean John. It never ceases to amaze me how much I've learned so much from this forum. I often check my ideas against the crowd here.
    Fred