Thread: New for me

New for me

silhouettes.png

There is a picture in a local steakhouse like the above that my wife always comments on when we go there. The background is amber and and the whole thing is framed. I think she is dropping hints (why I'll never know she doesn't know whether I can cut metal) and even if she isn't I'd like to make one for her. I don't work metal much at all though I'd like to and I'm wondering what goes into this and where are the pitfalls.
    I figure I can use that image and enlarge it somehow. The catalog I looked at online said 14 gauge tin so I could get that and glue the paper image to it. No shortage of scroll saws on CS so I get a metal cutting blade and go to work with that. My main concern is what will I run into with cutting? Sparks? Firestarting? I'll sweep up the area I'm working in but I'd like an idea of what I will run into. I imagine that after the cutting I'd sand the edges dull and then paint the whole thing black.

Input?

John, what size would you make it? These are typically made using a CNC plasma cutter or metal cutting laser. I think it would be a challenging project to scroll cut. Depending on the scale, my biggest worry would be all those skinny (delicate) horse legs.

You can purchase it from here: https://www.jdubs.com/30-cowboys-metal-silhouette/
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    John, what size would you make it? These are typically made using a CNC plasma cutter or metal cutting laser. I think it would be a challenging project to scroll cut. Depending on the scale, my biggest worry would be all those skinny (delicate) horse legs.

You can purchase it from here: https://www.jdubs.com/30-cowboys-metal-silhouette/
    I saw the website, part of the reason I want to do it myself. That's not a price range I go to for a wall hanging. I'd be going for a 3" to 4' in all likelihood.

Any input on my doing it as I said?

John, I have a lot of experience cutting metal on a band saw, zero using a scroll saw. That said, I don’t think there would be a sparking issue with a variable speed scroll saw that I could slow down the strokes per minute on. I don't think a metal cutting blade would last long at wood cutting speeds.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

John, consider using aluminium instead of tinplate. It removes the sparking issue but tinplate would be fine as well. Use wax to lubricate the cutting frequently. Also, given the delicate nature of the piece, it can help to glue the thin metal to a wood substrate such as mdf. I mostly use contact glue and then use thinner to dissolve the glue and clean it afterwards. This method gives you almost no burr and removes the risk of the blade grabbing the thin material. Definitely make it, don't buy it. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    silhouettes.png

There is a picture in a local steakhouse like the above that my wife always comments on when we go there. The background is amber and and the whole thing is framed. I think she is dropping hints (why I'll never know she doesn't know whether I can cut metal) and even if she isn't I'd like to make one for her. I don't work metal much at all though I'd like to and I'm wondering what goes into this and where are the pitfalls.
    I figure I can use that image and enlarge it somehow. The catalog I looked at online said 14 gauge tin so I could get that and glue the paper image to it. No shortage of scroll saws on CS so I get a metal cutting blade and go to work with that. My main concern is what will I run into with cutting? Sparks? Firestarting? I'll sweep up the area I'm working in but I'd like an idea of what I will run into. I imagine that after the cutting I'd sand the edges dull and then paint the whole thing black.

Input?

John,

I haven't used a scroll saw for steel but I've cut a lot with a jig saw and with a metal cutting blade on a sawzall. I don't think I've ever seen a spark. It seems to me a scroll saw for that image would be be a pain, especially the inside cuts. And could you find one that could rotate the cut in the middle of a large piece of steel? I wouldn't start on a big project until I got some experience with some smaller pieces.

A saw-cut edge will definitely need to be sanded, or perhaps better, filed. (I use a cheap pneumatic file that might save some time and effort.)

That said, this project is begging for a plasma cutter. I haven't used a fancy computer controlled one but a few years ago I bought a Hypertherm plasma cutter - man that has opened my eyes to possibilities. It will cut any metal, even stainless, up to about 1/2" However, your pattern with the thin legs of the horses might be tricky for a hand-held plasma cutter. To get smooth cuts I always make a template from wood or wire.

I'd look for someone to cut it for me on on CNC plasma or laser as Bruce mentioned. Another option is water jet - when I was actually working for a living we got some thick stainless parts cut locally with a water jet and the cost was less than we thought and the result was beautiful - precise and perfectly smooth curves.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post

A couple of people mentioned the size of the legs. I haven't made that image full size but I believe what I posted is almost 12" high and I think that would make the legs in the area of 1/4" wide??? I don't think that would make them too fragile.

My thought on getting the entire piece through the throat of the jigsaw is to do it in small groups...two or three horses at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    A couple of people mentioned the size of the legs. I haven't made that image full size but I believe what I posted is almost 12" high and I think that would make the legs in the area of 1/4" wide??? I don't think that would make them too fragile.
    My thought on getting the entire piece through the throat of the jigsaw is to do it in small groups...two or three horses at a time.
    Yes at that scale the legs should be fine.

When I read the the size of this I immediately thought of making it in sections as well. You might leave the sections separated and mount them all on a long board to provide visual continuity. Sections of unequal length might make it look more dynamic, maybe even a lone rider or two.

I might consider fastening (spot weld?) short standoffs to raise the artwork a bit off the surface to add shadows and depth.

Sounds like fun!

Hey, you could use a filing machine! This guy is has a series of amazing videos on making a clock (ClickSpring). I really want the filing machine he uses. Around 5:30 shows a bit of the scroll saw work and then the filing machine:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Y1...gQq80Ryx-beOli

Anyone interested in metal working and especially machining has to love this guy's videos.

JKJ

Buy a plasma cutter, they are awesome. I have a cheap chinese one that was like 300$. it cuts even 1/4 plate like butter. it is basically free hand drawing to trace the lines you want.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    Buy a plasma cutter, they are awesome. I have a cheap chinese one that was like 300$. it cuts even 1/4 plate like butter. it is basically free hand drawing to trace the lines you want.
    This is pretty common art, I had a PlasmaCam CNC maybe 15 years ago or so. If you furnished the 14 gauge which is not tin by the way but pretty heavy the guy will give you a discount. By the time you buy the blades, and ruin a good sabre saw and spend hours on this..... the price he charges will look like a bargain. Just purchase hot rolled not galvanized. You can do the final finishing yourself and save.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10