Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In praise of cheap simple grills...

Grills are kind of like appliances. Grandmas Maytag lasted 30 years. You'll be lucky to get 20% of that on a new Maytag.
    Ain't that the truth!
    We had a natural gas one my fat brother in law got for us through the gas company when he worked for them.
    That thing lasted forever. Even when it broke down, close to 20 years after we got it, I went to a grill and fireplace shop & they had all the parts I needed in stock!
    I rebuilt the thing for about $75 and it lasted on the deck until we tore the deck down.
    I think the guy that tore the deck down took it home.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I favor charcoal myself. We have a 27 year old SS Fire Magic. We have gone through 2 sets of grates and one set of fireboxes. It looks a little the worst for wear these days, but still cooks great.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    We had a big stainless steel three burner w/"hot plate" side burner and rotisserie for about 7 years.
    The thing was so ungainly and such a hassle to get in and out of the enclosed porch I seldom used it.

The last time I used it was last Fall.

The neighbors must have thought I was nuts when I started cheering as the flames began coming out of the front control panel, melting all the plastic knobs!

I was elated beyond words that the monstrosity had finally destroyed itself!

Yesterday, I went to Lowes and picked up a nice simple small lightweight two burner Char-Broil for $79.00 - on sale - minus 5% for putting it on my Lowes card.

Last night for supper, we had two of the greatest, juiciest, mouth watering, perfectly done steaks that I've had in I don't know how long!
    Plus, the thing heated up like right now - - now waiting around for some giant "hot box" to get up to temperature.

I've gotta say, this thing is great!
    With just my wife and I - and the very occasional guest or two, it's also the perfect size.

We will be having burgers& brauts & dogs, hot off the grill, on Memorial Day!
    We've had our Charbroiled 2 burner grill for at least 20 years. Had to replace the grate, burner shields and lava rock a few times but it is super dependable and cooks great steaks

We have a cast aluminum Kenmore two burner that I picked up in thrift store 20+ years ago for $5.00. The burner is U shaped cast iron. The grilling racks need replacement, and lava rock rack also need replacement For the lava rock rack, I will get a piece of screen from rock quarry, which will out last even me. Weld up an angle iron frame using FREE bed rails from dumpsters, and add screen inside to hold rocks. FYI, aggregate (fancy term for gravel) is screened to size. When a screen gets one hole in it, it's put in the scrap bin. They measure 4' X 8', and are capable of sizing TONS of rock per day, so they are TOUGH! Bought a can of Hi-Temp black several years ago to paint grill, just haven't done it yet. My other two grills are made from 275 gallon oil drums, and can use either gas or charcoal.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 05-27-2017 at 9:36 PM.

I was in Lowe's last night looking at grills and saw a guy buy a gas grill for $1.999.00

My current Gas Grill is a Thermos brand (char-broil) Stainless steel. About 10 years old. Anything made of regular steel has long rusted away. But works as expected.

I have a Weber Kettle grill I purchased in 1986 or 1987 and still use it today. Stay outside year round without a cover.

IMG_1010_1.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I favor charcoal myself. We have a 27 year old SS Fire Magic. We have gone through 2 sets of grates and one set of fireboxes. It looks a little the worst for wear these days, but still cooks great.
    Same here. We recently bought a Weber charcoal grill with a propane charcoal lighter. A pound of propane seems to last about a year lighting lump charcoal. No lighter fluid and is usually ready to use 10-15 minutes after starting. It wasn't cheap - I think $349 but it should last a long time with minimum maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Same here. We recently bought a Weber charcoal grill with a propane charcoal lighter. A pound of propane seems to last about a year lighting lump charcoal. No lighter fluid and is usually ready to use 10-15 minutes after starting. It wasn't cheap - I think $349 but it should last a long time with minimum maintenance.
    I may try something like that next time, Curt. Ready in 10-15 would be acceptable to me. How's the heat for searing? (That's one good thing about my current Webber gas grill...intense heat is available from three closely spaced burners)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Weber charcoal user here too. Our fire starter is a "CHIMNEY".

060162394706.jpg Piece of newspaper and one match and in 15 minutes +/ I have a full load of hot coals. I don't mind the wait and the price can't be beat. This one in the photos is less than $ 10.00. Can be had for a buck or 2 from yard sales. I have 3 different versions around but one will last 2 or 3 seasons before I need to toss it for one of my spares.

Can be repurposed as a squirrel guard on your bird feeders (minus the handle and the shield and grate - after a bit of scrubbing of course).
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I use my MAPP torch to light lump--quite fast especially if its already been used some.

Do the Weber kettles seal up well enough to snuff out the coals like a kamodo-style grill?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I may try something like that next time, Curt. Ready in 10-15 would be acceptable to me. How's the heat for searing? (That's one good thing about my current Webber gas grill...intense heat is available from three closely spaced burners)
    It came with 2 baskets to hold coals, we use one because we don't generally need a high heat. One caveat about ready in 10-15 minutes - if the weather has been damp it'll take longer. Today for instance ( gray and damp morning) I'll probably run the propane for a minute maybe a half hour before I'm ready to cook. Dries the charcoal out so it starts when I want it to.

Heading up to 20 years on a Napoleon stainless built in.

It has required no parts over the years, nothing, the grilles are as nice as they were when they were they new.

Not inexpensive, but worth every penny..........Rod.

I purchased a Char Broil two burner commercial infrared grill this weekend when they went on sale. So far I am impressed with this little grill, it's just the wife and I at home now so size isn't a problem.
    It seems to cook in half the time of my old grill thanks to the infrared technology. The stainless steel is a little thin so I don't expect it to last for more than a few years but for the price it won't hurt too bad when it's time to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    It came with 2 baskets to hold coals, we use one because we don't generally need a high heat. One caveat about ready in 10-15 minutes - if the weather has been damp it'll take longer. Today for instance ( gray and damp morning) I'll probably run the propane for a minute maybe a half hour before I'm ready to cook. Dries the charcoal out so it starts when I want it to.
    Thanks. I was looking at it on their website...it's an interesting setup. And I like that there are optional insert accessories available for alternative cooking needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A decent not overly expensive, yet highly rated gas grill is the Broil King brand. Can be found at Lowes.

Go here for review of ALL sorts. Great resource for ANYTHING grilling/BBQ related.

http://amazingribs.com/

Equipment reviews
    http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I use my MAPP torch to light lump--quite fast especially if its already been used some.

Do the Weber kettles seal up well enough to snuff out the coals like a kamodo-style grill?

My 1986 Weber Kettle will.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale