Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In praise of cheap simple grills...

In praise of cheap simple grills...

We had a big stainless steel three burner w/"hot plate" side burner and rotisserie for about 7 years.
    The thing was so ungainly and such a hassle to get in and out of the enclosed porch I seldom used it.

The last time I used it was last Fall.

The neighbors must have thought I was nuts when I started cheering as the flames began coming out of the front control panel, melting all the plastic knobs!

I was elated beyond words that the monstrosity had finally destroyed itself!

Yesterday, I went to Lowes and picked up a nice simple small lightweight two burner Char-Broil for $79.00 - on sale - minus 5% for putting it on my Lowes card.

Last night for supper, we had two of the greatest, juiciest, mouth watering, perfectly done steaks that I've had in I don't know how long!
    Plus, the thing heated up like right now - - now waiting around for some giant "hot box" to get up to temperature.

I've gotta say, this thing is great!
    With just my wife and I - and the very occasional guest or two, it's also the perfect size.

We will be having burgers& brauts & dogs, hot off the grill, on Memorial Day!
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Good deal! Burgers & dogs are mandatory on Memorial Day I think we do sometimes get caught up in the "Mine's bigger than yours" mindset.

I have a Weber Kettle (one that uses charcoal) that we bought in the 70's. Did you know they still sell charcoal?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Good deal! Burgers & dogs on the grill are mandatory on Memorial Day I think we do sometimes get caught up in the "Mine's bigger than yours" mindset.

I use mine all year around and have to knock the snow off in the winter. It is a Weber 3 burner with cast iron grates about 10 years old. It was not cheap but.....

I needed to replace the burners about a month ago and called Weber and the burner tubes were still under warranty and got new ones free. I also replaced the igniter and now as good as new. Not cheap but dependable after use twice a week and sits outside all the time.

Plans for the weekend are bacon wrapped pork tenderloin with grilled Vidalia onions tonight. Tomorrow I will use my smoker for ribs and finish them off on the grill along with some grilled asparagus.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 05-27-2017 at 7:25 AM.

A timely thread for me as we are shopping for a new grill today. The back of mine is rotting (rust) and the mounts that hold the deflectors in place have, all but one, fallen through. I never once used the side burner - this go-round I'm opting for something following the KISS methodology.
    -Lud

I still have the cast aluminum portable charcoal kitchen grill my father bought in 1962. Was made by a company in Little Rock, AR. Walked into Sam's Club not long ago and was astonished to see them still for sale. Still being made by the same company (PK) and they even supply parts if needed.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I'm in the market for a new grill as well. Our new house has natural gas plumbed to the grill location and even though we have our old propane grill, I want one that uses natural gas. Unfortunately, there aren't that many places that sell natural gas grills up here and the ones that do only sell monster grills that cost, no joke, 8-10x more than propane grills of the same size. There's one place I still have to check out, but Lowes and Home Depot and other regular outlets are simply failing me at the moment.

My Weber, 3 burner gas grill sets on the carport and get used year round. Burgers and brauts on Memorial Day.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

3 words...Big Green Egg. Best grill/smoker we've ever had. Next best thing is Weber but I have to say that the one my parents got about 10 years ago is no where near the same quality as the one I bought about 13 years ago. I sold mine last spring for I think $125 because we hadn't used it since I got the BGE.

Mom is seriously thinking about getting a BGE to replace the Weber because I'm the one who mostly uses it and she loves how things I make on it turn out. Especially the smoked turkeys.

I got one of the cheap sub $100 2 burners at the BORG about 6 years ago and it works, but there are hot spots and I just about always have to grill on High. Been like that pretty much the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    ...but I have to say that the one my parents got about 10 years ago is no where near the same quality as the one I bought about 13 years ago. .
    Yea, our previous Webber Genesis was good for a very long time. The current version...not so much. A lot more maintenance and even the aftermarket 'porcelain' covered grates rust. Disappointing. I'll be considering alternatives when I eventually replace it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have used a Weber charcoal grill for about 10 years. The little one, that cost about $30-$40. It lives outside, in the rain, the snow, the sun. I would be surprised if it does not last another 10 years.

My two burner Dukane has stood me in good stead for years now. It was priced mid-range for other two burner no frills grills. Have never really needed anything bigger. I am thinking of getting a wood pellet Traeger grill for its slow cooking smoked qualities.

Grills are kind of like appliances. Grandmas Maytag lasted 30 years. You'll be lucky to get 20% of that on a new Maytag.