Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What gooseneck lamp do you like?

What gooseneck lamp do you like?

I want a gooseneck lamp for my bandsaw. I'd prefer LED for the low temperature and small head size.

I've picked up some randomly over the years (at IKEA for instance) and they give out very little light.

Have any of you found one you like, that provides good illumination?

thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I want a gooseneck lamp for my bandsaw. I'd prefer LED for the low temperature and small head size.

I've picked up some randomly over the years (at IKEA for instance) and they give out very little light.

thanks, Mark
    I use three lights at my bandsaw, one on the left, one on the right, and a long gooseneck around the left to nearly over my left shoulder, lighting up the front. I've tried a lot and my favorite is the Super Nova sold by Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders. Besides the bandsaw I have one at each wood lathe, sharpening station, and metal lathe. They have a strong magnetic base. Not cheap. https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/lamps

JKJ

I have tried several and have not found any that had strong enough magnets to stick to my Delta drill press side. The vibration and rougher casting causes trouble and the light just slides downward. My Jet bandsaw also has rougher casting on the riser arm so nothing sticks to that well either. A real pain sticking a magnet light on the doors. Not sure what the answer is.

At $160 the SuperNova should be good! I need 4 and that is a lot of money for lighting. Will have to chew on that!

Suppose it would be possible to drill the casting on a tool and mount a steel plate that the magnet would stick to better - ideally with a bottom lip to prevent the light from walking off.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 05-27-2017 at 2:04 PM.

ideally with a bottom lip to prevent the light from walking off.[/QUOTE]

maybe some angle iron or a bead of caulk

Bill

Although not perfect (it uses 3 AA batteries instead of AC power) I have been using a lamp sold by LeeValley Tools (item 15J77.01). It is mounted on a strong magnet base - no problems with either vertical or horizontal mounting. I have used rechargeable batteries to cut down on waste. On the plus side, you can easily move it anywhere you require additional lighting.

I love the Super Nova lights John recommends, but I'm going to try the Lee Valley light Jacques suggests. The free shipping and much lower cost works for me. Thanks all.

Mark,

Check out the LeeValley corded gooseneck Utility Lamp 17J30.40. I have two of them and plan to get another. You supply your own bulb so you can make it as bright as you like (within reason). It's also fairly easy to move the lamp from base to base.

Doug

No gooseneck, but very cheap are the blue 27 led lights at Harbor Freight. I super glue an additional rare earth magnet to it and it serves me fine. $3.99 , $2.99 on sale or sometimes free with a purchase. Not as nice or adjustable like the lamps mentioned above, but a low cost option to spot lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Suppose it would be possible to drill the casting on a tool and mount a steel plate that the magnet would stick to better - ideally with a bottom lip to prevent the light from walking off.
    I do exactly that to mount lights with magnetic bases to things like wooden walls. I think I used some 3/16" mild steel plate. Should work fine on a rough casting. I can't imaging the magnet on the Super Nova light sliding anywhere. The magnetic bases are the type with a rotating switch and much larger than similar bases commonly used with dial indicators in the machine shop - this one is very powerful. I can't budge the one stuck vertically to my bandsaw door and that steel is not very thick. I stuck one to a rough casting on one of my lathes and while there was no vibration I could not budge it when switched on.

Also, I can imagine it would be easy to make a bracket for a gooseneck lamp that fastens to anything with screws. One of the lamps on my bandsaw is an old Moffatt, similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Moffatt-Incan.../dp/B0089DVW3Y
    It came with a both a magnetic base and tough bracket I mounted with two screws.

JKJ

I use the corded Delta, with a "daylight" CFL in it.

I use this one from Lee Valley

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...t=3,43349&ap=1

The magnet is VERY strong. My only beef is that it is something of a battery pig. But is throws good light and you can focus it from a wide beam to pencil beam.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    ...The magnet is VERY strong. My only beef is that it is something of a battery pig.
    I simply can't imagine using a battery powered light on something stationary in the shop. A flashlight to carry around, yes.

JKJ

I just bought a TROND Halo 9W-C light. Liked it so much I went back and bought a second one. $25.99 at Amazon, and Prime eligible.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post

thanks, Mark
    I like the cheap little Ikea one that I have on my saw. Yes it isn't all that much light, but by being close it doesn't need to be much light. Just adjust the gooseneck so the light is close to the work. YMMV, but that has worked well for me.

Lowes sells a stainless steel gooseneck LED light that produces a very bright white even light. They come in two versions, one with a heavy weighted base and the other with a spring clamp. The goosenecks are about 15" long. I now have 8 of the spring clamp version in my wood shop and two of the weighted base version in my booth materials for lighting the display tables. These lights from Lowes are only about $20 and do a great job. I modified two of the spring clamp version to attach them to a DIY bracket on my DeWalt 788 scroll saw, one on each side of the upper arm of the saw. I can position the light heads on both sides of the blade pointed down at the cutting point and completely eliminate the blade shadows. They can run all day and the heads will only raise in temperature to about 20 degrees above ambient, so no more head and face burns that I used to get from my previous lamps. I have one of these lamps on each drill press, one on the band saw, and several more that I move around the shop to supply light wherever needed.

If you plan on removing the clamp to mount the lamp another way, get the spring clamp version. The weighted base version has a different end on the gooseneck that will make it more difficult to attach. Power for these lamps comes from a "wall wort" type power supply in the plug and there is an in-line switch located about 18" from the lamp end of the power cord in the spring clamp version. The weighted base version has a switch in the base. You have to see one of these lamps lit in the store to believe how bright they are.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...ade/1000003084

Charley