Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What gooseneck lamp do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Moore View Post
    I just bought a TROND Halo 9W-C light. Liked it so much I went back and bought a second one. $25.99 at Amazon, and Prime eligible.
    I see that one gets good reviews too. I ordered one to try. Can't have too many lamps. Thanks for the recommendation.

JKJ

You don't have to buy a whole new gooseneck lamp, and may be better off not doing it. The best rig I have is on my bandsaw. There's an an older magnetic-base gooseneck which was designed for incandescent lamps. I think it was sold by Delta. I put a "60-watt equivalent" LED flood lamp in it. Makes lots of light.

Why? If they work why not. For $3.99 even with replacing the batteries on the HF light a couple of times per year it leaves money for other purchases like lumber or tools. To each their own however.
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I simply can't imagine using a battery powered light on something stationary in the shop. A flashlight to carry around, yes.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You don't have to buy a whole new gooseneck lamp, and may be better off not doing it. The best rig I have is on my bandsaw. There's an an older magnetic-base gooseneck which was designed for incandescent lamps. I think it was sold by Delta. I put a "60-watt equivalent" LED flood lamp in it. Makes lots of light.
    That's a great point. Of the dozen or so "conventional" lamps in my shop, none have the intended incandescent bulbs. I use a mix of LED and CFL with a few halogen. I've been known to come home from the big box store with a bag of bulbs I've never seen before just to try. I've found some of the smaller spot bulbs are perfect in cheap swing-arm lamps, especially at the lathe.

(Some shop visitors ask for sun glasses.)

JKJ

I have one of these http://www.moffattproducts.com/Default.aspx ...best ever for my needs....come in halogen or LED 100 watts..little pricey but tough and trouble free...i have the 24" one

In the end I ordered two lights from Super Nova, the $73 Beacon magnetic base, and the $20 Galaxy multi-purpose.

I'll check out that low priced Lowes that Charles Lent recommends, and see how I like it compared to the $20 Galaxy. Seems there are a bunch of good options out there.

Jamie suggested getting an old gooseneck lamp and putting in a modern LED bulb - this was my original intention, but if I ever managed to find a listing on Ebay or C'list for one of these they were very pricey. They have that classic look I like though.

I have the Moffatt that John linked to with a 100w equivalent LED bulb installed. Zero complaints with it, it works great.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I collect old articulating and gooseneck lamps but in honestly I use magnetic led sewing machine lights mostly on my saws. The 20 led versions stick and work well and are about 12.00 on ebay.

I have a few task lights from Sunnex that I like very much. I've got both LED and quartz halogen versions. They aren't cheap but they work very well, supply a lot of light and are dependable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have the Moffatt that John linked to with a 100w equivalent LED bulb installed. Zero complaints with it, it works great.
    I agree. They work pretty well for me. I have 2 of them on the lathe and one each on band saw, chop saw, router table, drill press, grinder, sharpening station, belt/disk sander and oscillating spindle sander. These 74 year old eyes need all the help they can get!!! I use 100 watt incandescent currently but moving toward all LED.

Blog Entries
    I have the same light that Grant has. I am completely satisfied with it.

About a year ago I bought this gooseneck plug in LED light from Amazon for use on my bandsaw. It gives me plenty of light, good intensity, and I found the magnetic base to be strong enough, but it could be made stronger by gluing a stronger rare earth magnet to the existing one with epoxy. For $12.00 it met my needs better than I expected.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apologies in advance for an answer some will see as nonresponsive, but after struggling with various gooseneck lamps that never stayed aimed or which had too short of neck to get the light where I needed it, I bought a good quality LED headlamp. Best non-tool purchase I ever made for my shop. Now I always have light where I need it - and the headlamp comes in handy for the odd lambing problem in a dark corner of the barn, attic exploration, and the like.

I like Moffatt lights.

http://www.moffattproducts.com/

I have this light on my Delta 14" bandsaw with a LED PAR lamp, very pleased, had the light longer then the saw as has bought it on clearance at a now defunct farm store, 20 years ago.

http://www.moffattproducts.com/Delta...-858-P199.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Apologies in advance for an answer some will see as nonresponsive, but after struggling with various gooseneck lamps that never stayed aimed or which had too short of neck to get the light where I needed it, I bought a good quality LED headlamp. Best non-tool purchase I ever made for my shop. Now I always have light where I need it - and the headlamp comes in handy for the odd lambing problem in a dark corner of the barn, attic exploration, and the like.
    Steve, I agree, a quality head lamp is a must-have! I use one often around the farm, under vehicles, crawling in attic spaces, etc. I have one that also has a red lamp which is nice for preserving the night vision. When I need a really bright light I use this one - light weight, AA battery: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UHZXAYG I keep it handy now - I have a llama that is about three weeks overdue. Llamas are in general daytime birthers, but you never know...

One thing I noticed decades ago while using one exploring caves which actually relates to woodworking in a way - a light source from near the eyes made walking on a rough surface difficult since there were no shadows! I was stumbling on rocks and things with the headlamp while a hand-held light clearly showed surface unevenness. For woodworking, especially when working at the lathe, a light from the side makes it easier far easier for me to see scratches, defects, and on the lathe, makes it easier to evaluate the compound curves as they are formed and see if there is a flat where a curve should be. Scratches, in particular, are sometimes invisible with light from a headlamp, a light from behind the shoulder, or diffuse lighting from far overhead. That's the biggest reason I like to use multiple adjustable task lights at the lathe and a strong side light when sanding. This is not important for the bandsaw, of course!

JKJ