Thread: help with slow glue

help with slow glue

Need to attach many wood pieces to a board (32) and then adjust them while the glue drys. (align the edges) I need a really slow drying wood glue.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

If moisture is not a concern, hide glue. If it is, slow set epoxy.

John

I am only going to agree with the suggestion of hide glue, if we are talking about highly modified (aka. liquid) hide glue like Olde Brown glue, the open time with a glue like this is like 20 - 30 minutes, maybe longer. Traditional hide glue has an open time of maybe 2 - 3 minutes, depending on the ambient temperature and gram strength.

How long do you need? Titebond Extend gives you 20 - 25 minutes.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

The powder mixed with water is longer open time then many.
    Bill

link from sawmill creek site below.

). At 70 degrees it has roughly 45 minute working time, 12-14 hour clamp time. I'm told that by raising the temp over 100 degrees after clamping the cure time can be cut to 4 hours, and this can be done using an electric blanket.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-28-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Use white glue. It has a longer open time and is quite strong. It was around before yellow. I am looking at walnut furniture glued with it over 50 years ago - still tight!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

How much time?

A higher temp rated epoxy can have open times exceeding an hour, if done correctly, and you'd be able to "fiddle" with the pieces long after.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    Use white glue. It has a longer open time and is quite strong. It was around before yellow. I am looking at walnut furniture glued with it over 50 years ago - still tight!
    That would be my suggestion, too. White glue is easy to get, has a lot longer open time than yellow carpenter's glues, doesn't grab as fast, and is plenty strong. I used it to glue my workbench top together (3" face glued ash) and it has held up fine.