Thread: Hollowing systems again

Hollowing systems again

I want to get a hollowing system. The hollow forms I would want to turn are in the 8-10" deep as a max. I think I have read every possible thread on the subject, but don't want to miss something. I have decided that the articulating arm style is the my most likely choice. I've pretty much ruled out building one, as I don't have a welder and getting things precise on center line may prove difficult. Here is the system I am considering:

1. Monster Articulating Arm. A complete system including the laser and boring bars and cutters for one price. I have yet to see any negative review on this system. Question. Is this all I need or should additional boring bars be considered? Is there any downside to this system at all?

2. Without naming other systems, it seems I would need to piece together any other system. When I did this the price always comes out to be more than the Monster.

Tell me me what I am missing if anything.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

You will want the 1" boring bar as opposed to, or in addition to, the 3/4" standard bar. I do not care for the Hunter style carbide cutter, but I have not checked recently to see if it is an added accessory or included. There are cheaper sources for the square cutter bar stock - Enco, for one. I have those part numbers if you want them. Also, having a shop made holder that can be inserted in the boring bar machined to hold a scraper type cutter is nice for smoothing cuts.

As you know, I have had the Monster systems, both articulated and captured, for several years and think for the money it is the best available.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I don't have one of these myself, I have a Kobra which I am very happy with but if I was in the market today I would sure look at some of the more recently developed ones such as Trent's and the Vermec. The Big Vermec is touted to do up to 14" deep and I do know that they make some very high quality tools.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I have both of the Monster systems and agree with John that the 1" boring bar is a welcome addition to the system. You may not intend to hollow beyond the limits you listed but the 1" makes it easier to hollow by reducing vibration. I also agree with John that the Monster system, for the money, is the best one out there.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

What length of the 1" boring bar would be best for the Laguna 18-36? It say that a round carbide cutter is included. Does not mention it is a Hunter carbide. It also comes with a 3/4" boring bar with a 5-1/2" extension. Doesn't list the 3/4" bar length.

im guessing it would also be good to get the optional handle for the cutters.
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 05-28-2017 at 9:08 PM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

You can also check eBay. They list thousands of boring bars, since they are very standard on metal lathes.
    i bought a few for around $30 each, inserted them into a pipe to get the length I wanted.

Take a look at the Elbo Tool now being sold by Tim Yoder. Will easily hollow to the depth you are looking at and it is so easy to set up. Comes with a 3/4" bar and cutter and the price is so reasonable. I did a review of this hollowing system for More Woodturning Magazine and was very very impressed. I have both Monster systems and Alan Trout's Pro-Rail Hollowing System (The Ultimate System!).

Bill, it is about a 3 hour drive for you to visit. You are welcome to do so and you can play with the systems I have and we can discuss the various options, etc. There are a lot of factors that determine the functional limit on the depth of hollowing. Consider that in order to use the laser provided, you cannot exceed the "reach" of the pointer with any boring bar unless you construct a longer laser bar. If you want to hollow without the laser, then your limit would be determined by when chattering begins, which will depend on the type of wood, your technique, etc. I will measure my 1" bar and post the length later.

Here is my 1" bar and the shop made scraper holders I have. I am confident one could successfully use a longer 1" bar if desired with an extended laser beam or without the laser.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Keeton; 05-29-2017 at 9:49 AM.

I too have the monster and concur that the 1" bar is a good investment. Also need a nice solid tool rest. I have a 1" round bar tool rest that is heavy and serves well for that. If you're turning urns, the gooseneck bar is also a a good investment. As if you need to spend even more money. If you have a hand held gooseneck, you could use that too. None of the tools can get that little area just behind the top.

I have not tried the Kobra or Elbo, and I would look into those also, since they have glowing reviews. I've had my Monster for many years, it was one of the only options way back. I still think the amount of tools you get, the Monster is a wise choice. Since you're not yet planning to go too deep, the Monster should do well. Deep hollowing is the Monsters' weak point IMO. Good luck in your choice!