Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which HF dust collector? (there are 2)

Which HF dust collector? (there are 2)

Guys,
    I see HF has 2 dust collectors that seem to be the same: 2 hp, 1550 cfm. One is green (model 97869) and the other is black (model 61790). Is there any practical difference between them?

For $150 at their Monday sale, I think I'll grab one.

Thanks.
    Fred

Edit: And after looking at various "soup it up" videos, I'm already seeing that dust collection can be a slippery slope. Geez! $250 for a super dust deputy cyclone kit, $130 for a cannister filter, $40 for a rockler collapsing hose, etc, etc. On a $150 collector???
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-28-2017 at 3:39 PM.

Don't know about the black one. Maybe just a paint diff?
    If you're not gonna trick out the collector, get a good felted bag(s) in place of the one that comes with it.
    I got my bags from Highland Woodworking in Atl. The do a very good job of filtering.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks Bill!

I could be mistaken, but I think the amperage spec is the only stated difference. One is rated at 15a, the other 20a. Doesn't really make sense to me considering the cfm and HP are supposedly the same. Long story short, I ordered the green one and they sent me the black one. I think I read somewhere they kind of send you whichever they have in stock at the moment. I haven't used it yet, just now wrapping up all the piping in the shop. As a matter of fact, I came on the forum today to find any info regarding the actual amp draw of it so I know what wire gauge to feed it. Good luck

Thanks Dan.

Search the archives here. There are guys talking about the amoerage draw that might help you.

Fred

Blog Entries
    I've noticed many of their products come with 2 separate part numbers. Look around at some other products and you'll see this same pattern.

My guess is the only difference is the paint. I wouldn't use it without upgrading the filtration unless you will discharge outside. That reduces noise but is most practical with a preseparator. A thein baffle is a lot less expensive but I think dust deputy cyclones work a lot better, especially on fine dust. My experience is that the main advantage of the cyclone is it greatly reduces filter cleaning. That's a big deal to me. But nothing says you have to have it initially.

I would put it on a 20A circuit. Running current is probably below 15A but startup inrush might trip a breaker. You could try it on a 15A circuit and see what happens.

If I put a DC into my new shop, it will be the HF 2hp. I will add a dust deputy super cyclone and discharge outside. My shop isn't heated or cooled so I don't see a significant disadvantage. No filter to clean and no fine dust back into the shop are significant advantages. More suction too.

Thanks Jim!
    Fred

I know they've fallen out of favor and everyone prefers canister filters now but I recently put an oversized 1micron bag from AFF on mine and man what a difference it made in air flow. The bag I bought is 6' tall and in my shop it comes to a few inches below the ceiling joists. I bought it to reduce the fine dust that was escaping the 5 micron bag I had on it but the increased auction has been a big perk.

I have the newer black painted one and the paint color "makes all the difference in the world". Just joking. There is likely no difference.

I disassembled it and mounted the "guts" high on an exterior wall. Underneath it, I put a thien baffle. I exhaust outside. The thien baffle works well enough that I don't see sawdust outside and get garbage cans full of chips. I used the center section of the HF DC for the "spinner portion" of the separator. The designs where they use a 90 elbow would seem to have a bunch of drawbacks. I think that if the baffle plate is really thin (like 1/8 or 1/4" plate steel/aluminum) that it would work better. I beveled the leading and trailing edges of the baffle. I think that if the baffle plate is thick plywood and is blunt, that it works less well. But that is more intuition than proven fact.

Blog Entries
    I think they do that so they can always have one on sale. You can't market things with a sale price every day, so they give them 2 numbers.
    At least that's why I think they do it.

I put all 120v outlet circuits in the shop on 12ga romex and 20amp breakers. Why not? Silly not to imo. Just me.

Thanks guys!
    Fred

Brice, you have any pictures of your setup?

Here are some pictures. Right now I have a 4" flex pipe from the Thien baffle to the DC. Eventually I'll replace that with a 5" and also perhaps increase the exhaust vent size. But it actually works just fine as it is.
    IMG_0029 (392x1024).jpgIMG_0031 (768x1024).jpg