Thread: Refinishing the Newel Post and Hand Rail

Refinishing the Newel Post and Hand Rail

The final part of my family room refresh is to refinish the hand rail and newel post. I was able to remove most of the paint and the original finish with Citristrip. However, the green stain remains. Any suggestions on how I can get it out?

Worst case, I canleave it as is, coat it with General Finish Oil and Urethane and call it a distressed look 😉
    IMG_20170528_110759.jpg
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Why not consider paint. A good oil based enamel would allow you to choose any color you want. Scuff sand the green, coat with a shellac based primer. Two coats should reveal and allow you to sand out imperfections. Then two coats of top of the line enamel.

You tried the environmentally friendly approach; now try some good stuff. Get some Kleanstrip Strip-X Stripper, specifically designed for getting pigmented stain out of the wood grain after the finish has been removed. It should get the paint stains out, too. May take extra patience and scrubbing with a nylon brush but it should work. Open the windows and wear suitable PPE.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/strip-x-stripper

John

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    Why not consider paint. A good oil based enamel would allow you to choose any color you want. Scuff sand the green, coat with a shellac based primer. Two coats should reveal and allow you to sand out imperfections. Then two coats of top of the line enamel.
    The hand rail and newel post are both oak. I would prefer to not paint those. The spindles and bottom are pine, so those will be painted.

I have enough stripped off to paint it with the Sherwin Williams wood primer and paint that I have been using for the paneling in the rest of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You tried the environmentally friendly approach; now try some good stuff. Get some Kleanstrip Strip-X Stripper, specifically designed for getting pigmented stain out of the wood grain after the finish has been removed. It should get the paint stains out, too. May take extra patience and scrubbing with a nylon brush but it should work. Open the windows and wear suitable PPE.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/strip-x-stripper

John
    The environmentally friendly stuff works quite well for stripping paint. I have used it several times to fix poor work by previous owners.
    I'll hunt down some of this heavier stuff and give it a try.

Thanks!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    The environmentally friendly stuff works quite well for stripping paint. I have used it several times to fix poor work by previous owners.
    I'll hunt down some of this heavier stuff and give it a try.

Thanks!

Dan
    Bet you own a fairly new home (well past 1978). I tried tons of environmently friendly strippers on the paint in our 1920's home and the paint laughed and taunted the environmently friendly stripper, it took like a week for that 'nasty paint ' to show any slight effect.

I agree that you may need to use the more "chemically bound" product, but you could also try bleaching it first.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Bet you own a fairly new home (well past 1978). I tried tons of environmently friendly strippers on the paint in our 1920's home and the paint laughed and taunted the environmently friendly stripper, it took like a week for that 'nasty paint ' to show any slight effect.
    Nope! My house was built in 1957. So far, this is the best environmentally friendly stripper that I have found.

Get out your cabinet scraper and scrape it down. Chemicals only get you so far. Your profiles are simple and the newel post is even not too complex. Cheers

I'm with Wayne on this one as you've alrady got most of it stripped. Scraper!
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Wayne.... you are assuming I have a cabinet scraper.

Use a wide chisel if no scraper is available. No excuses! Cheers