Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air rifle

Air rifle

What would be the best one to buy The squirrels are trashing my bird feeders
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Gamo Whisperer 22 caliber

Pyramid air dot com.....

They will fix you right up.

I have an ancient Sheridan Blue Streak that will dispatch a rodent easily. Got it for Christmas when I was 13 (1965).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    What would be the best one to buy The squirrels are trashing my bird feeders
    I use a single pump, Gamo 4.5, Hunter 440 with a quality scope. 1000 fps, shoots 177 caliber pellets (4.5mm). The barrel is pivoted in the middle to form the pump handle. The thing is deadly accurate and pretty quiet. Squirrels, rabbits, possum, crows, skunks. I don't recommend shooting at skunks unless you do it at someone else's house.

JKJ

John, in my opinion it all really depends on your situation. Do you live in town or out in the country, neighbors live real close or do you have a big yard, long range shooting or will it be under 25'? All of that info makes a difference as to what air rifle would work the best for you. I have an old break-barrel .177 cal pellet gun that I have had since I was 10 and it still is my preferred rifle for anything close. Well, that and it is extremely quiet. I also have a Gamo Big Cat 1250 that can really reach out and make distance shots but it sounds like a .22 going off!

Give us a little more info and we should be able to steer you in the right direction.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You'll be hard pressed to go wrong with something from here:

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/ind...te=common/home

Rock solid mechanism and wood stocks.

You can do that but also other ways. We have a squirrel baffle above the feeder and it keeps them off. Are you smarter than a squirrel.

I'd like to have more information about the problem. Maybe we can figure out a solution that works even when you're not there with gun in hand.

Our bird feeder is within 4 feet of big trees on either side and we haven't had a squirrel get to the birdseed or chew on the feeder in four years this August.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Are you smarter than a squirrel.
    Apparently not. I tried baffles; they just laughed. I hung a wire between 2 trees and the baffled feeder from that; they jumped 20' down from a tree. They could only hang on about 5% of the time, but that was enough. I shot one; the rest didn't care. I gave up.

We tried everything - squirrel proof feeders, baffles, etc - no success.
    Then we got a cat.

Solved that problem.

If you have an easy meal for them the word quickly gets around the little critters community. You should be able to outsmart a squirrel, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    We tried everything - squirrel proof feeders, baffles, etc - no success.
    Then we got a cat.

Solved that problem.
    Ha! We have five cats, two in/out and three barn cats, excellent hunters all. I think the squirrels must have paid them off. More this year than I've ever seen.

A good friend, a potter, once took me out to his yard to see his amazing squirrel-proof bird feeder. It was tear-drop shaped with a slick glaze the squirrels couldn't get a grip on. He was so proud. While we were standing there a squirrel poked his head out from inside the bird feeder to look at us.

JKJ

I have a RWS mdl. 34 .177 air rifle. I don't use it for squirrels [I have a Ruger 77-22 for that] but i'm sure it would kill one with a well placed shot.
    It's supper accurate and cheap to shoot.

Blog Entries
    I live in a very rural area so my squirrel gun is a single barrel 410 shotgun. Works for me.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I live in a very rural area so my squirrel gun is a single barrel 410 shotgun. Works for me.....
    My favorite farm varmint control tool is a youth-sized gun with switchable 22 rifle and 410 barrels. The thing is small and so lightweight, composite stock, easy to carry.

JKJ