Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5/16" Chisels

Last year at the West Liberty Tractor Fest on Labour Day......found a mortise chisel by Buck Brothers. Socket chisel, was missing a handle....found a handle in another tub, same dealer....couple of taps to rejoin the two....$1....
    mortise chisel.jpg
    Just measured the width...what I thought was a 3/8" chisel turned out to be a 5/16" Mortise chisel.. This is NOT a short, little chisel...from cutting edge to socket start,,,over 6" long.

Logo on the chisel...Buck Brothers Cast Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    Two Cherries has been offering an 8mm (and sizing in 2mm increments from 2mm-30mm and 5mm increments 30mm - 50mm) since the 1970's - their recent decision to make the the Ulmia-style octagonal handles available as an alternative to those weird fat oval handles is nice to see.

I have a set of Hirsch chisels that I really like, except, as you call them, "those fat oval handles." I cut all those off and replaced them with handles of the same design that are on my Bergs. Good to see that Two Cherries finally made a switch.

3. I have 5/16 bracketed, but none present.

Interestingly, most chisel sets in metric oftentimes also omit 8 mm chisel (6, 10, 12, 16, 20, 26 mm). Yet I've learned that it's the right size for making something like stool. Coming from that end, what chisel (mortise-tenon thickness) do you use to make a stool?