Thread: To prime or not to prime?

To prime or not to prime?

I am installing 1" rough sawn cedar for trim around windows then painting it a Stone Clay color Acrylic Latex paint which is a darker color. The trim boards will also be sealed to the anderson window frames with backer cord in the gap and covered with polyurthane caulk.

I have read many posts that say to prime all six sides with an oil based primer first.Some say it will prevent bleeding of the tannins.Do I need this with a darker color. The trim that was removed from the room was not primed, painted the same color, and I saw no bleeding.

The other posts say to prime because it will make the wood last longer. I guess some water would wick between where the cedar meets the vinyl siding.

I sure do not mind the extra work, if it is truely beneficial.

I sure would like feedbck from those with cedar experience.

Thanks
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 05-28-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added comment
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Prime all surfaces regardless of species. The trim will last much longer especially when the caulk develops hairline gaps which they all do over time. I can't remember the last painted cedar job I did if ever - all mine have been clear finishes - so I will let others comment on bleeding issues. Cheers

Prime all sides, but don't use an oil-based primer. Personally, I like to use an acrylic solid color stain as a primer, as they are designed to penetrate, "breathe", and to block tannins. They will also remain more flexible than an oil-based product. Then topcoat with two coats of a quality exterior acrylic coating. Or, if you don't mind a little more maintenance, another coat of the solid stain (which would probably get you 8-10 years of service in Indiana).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore