Thread: Cleaning up old saw

1. Cleaning up old saw

I've got an old saw that has some sort of emblem or logo on the saw blade, but it is too rusty to tell what it is. What's the best way to clean this and get it legible? Would evaporust help or hurt?

If you look in the Neanderthal sticky link, and scroll down you will see a section on re-habbing old saws. Lots of good information there. What has worked for me in the past is a heavy dose of WD-40. Let it set for a while. Then use a razor blade (the kind that comes in a handle to scrape paint off of windows), and scrape the worst of the crud off, particularly around the handle (I always take the handle off for this, it makes it a lot easier). Then use a fine sanding sponge and wet sand with WD-40.

Full strength Simple Green, a 3M purple scratchy pad and MAYBE a palmsander to power the pad around...

One way to bring out the etch a little better...a tube of "Gun Blue Paste" (sold at sporting goods stores) smear a coating over the etch's area, allow to dry, sand with a wood block packer to remove the "blue" on the surface above the level of the etch. Etch sits a hair lower than the surrounding steel. Same can be done with a black Sharpie pen, as well.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-29-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    If you look in the Neanderthal sticky link, and scroll down you will see a section on re-habbing old saws. Lots of good information there.
    I think what Nicholas is referring to is the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs section.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...al-wisdom-FAQs

It is like a secret archive of the collective of Neanderthal Haven.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Some times the saw nuts help with identifying the saw. What do they say?
    Also, this is a fun link
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/gallery2.html
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-30-2017 at 11:42 AM.

6. It is a sandviken no 270

Any idea the value? And any comments on evaporust?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Some times the saw nuts help with identifying the saw. What do they say?
    Also, this is a fun link
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/gallery2.html

Blog Entries
    It is probably a Sanvik 270.

Sandvik saws are very good. The aren't rare, but don't have much collector interest.
    They make excellent user saws. I have several, and like them very much.
    To get an idea of value, check the eBay "Sold" listings. Don't go by what people are asking on eBay. What matters is what an item actually sold for.
    If I were you, I'd sharpen it and use it. I think you would be very happy with it if it were well- sharpened.
    Rick