Thread: Spare Buffer/Grinderr - Buffing or Wire Wheels?

Spare Buffer/Grinderr - Buffing or Wire Wheels?

I have a spare Baldor 6" Buffer/Grinder with a 1/3 hp, 3450 rpm motor that I would like to set up with either wire or buffing wheels. I just purchased a Beall buffing setup with 8" wheels for use on my wood lathe and could purchase additional wheels for metal polishing, etc. Would I be better served using the spare Baldor with a couple of different wire wheels, brass and steel for example as opposed to a combination wire and buffing wheel setup? This would be used only for metal parts. I tried running a 6" wire wheel on it and it seemed rather fast and stiff compared to when I had one mounted on a 1700 rpm 7" grinder. Also, the Baldor being a Buffer/Grinder does not have a shroud. Is it OK to run wire wheels without one?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I have a spare Baldor 6" Buffer/Grinder with a 1/3 hp, 3450 rpm motor that I would like to set up with either wire or buffing wheels. I just purchased a Beall buffing setup with 8" wheels for use on my wood lathe and could purchase additional wheels for metal polishing, etc. Would I be better served using the spare Baldor with a couple of different wire wheels, brass and steel for example as opposed to a combination wire and buffing wheel setup? This would be used only for metal parts. I tried running a 6" wire wheel on it and it seemed rather fast and stiff compared to when I had one mounted on a 1700 rpm 7" grinder. Also, the Baldor being a Buffer/Grinder does not have a shroud. Is it OK to run wire wheels without one?
    What do you want to brush with the wire wheels? Do you want to remove mill scale on hot rolled steel? Do you want to put a gentle brushed finish on aluminum?

If you are not used to them, wire wheels can be very dangerous. I use them a lot in metal-working to clean steel before welding.

The wires break off and can go flying, embedding themselves in eyeballs, skin, etc. I prefer to have a guard, use a shield on the grinder, then wear a good face shield and leather gloves and always hold small parts with pliers or vise grips. The wheels can be "grabby" and pull things into it. Depending on how aggressively you brush, it can take a lot of power. I have used one on a 1/2hp 8" grinder and I thought it was under powered - the motor was easily bogged down. I use a "full speed" 8" Metabo grinder for my wire brushing of small parts.

What is better for a lot of metal brushing is a wire brush on a 4-1/2" angle grinder. I think it is more controllable and easier to change to different brushes. I use several types - one is a cup brush with twisted knots of wire strands - extremely tough and long lasting and especially good for wider areas. Another favorite is a twisted wire straight wheel. For less aggressive brushing I use straight or cup wheels with straight wire, not twisted into thick strands.

For most metal buffing, I don't like a soft wheel like the Beale. I use a wheel made for metal polishing that I bought at a carving supply store where they use them to put a mirror finish on carving tools. It is made of a number of layers of very stiff fabric, almost looks like it's treated with something to keep it stiff. The stack is convoluted. Kind of looks like this, but mine is not yellow: https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D25.../dp/B0000DD2BG
    Works extremely well on steel. I would never use it on plastic or wood.

JKJ