Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean a rasp

Blog Entries

Clean a rasp

I have an Ariuou 10 rasp that has been used on mesquite wood. I have cleaned it with a fine ss welder's brush. It's clean, but not spotless. How do you clean your valued wood rasps?

Any wisdom here. It looks spotty, which I object to. I hesitate to soak it in warm soapy water which occurred to me. Maybe I should use mineral spirits on it.

Blog Entries
    After the brushing and even a brass welders brush, my fine point pick gets put to work.

Put on some good music, good glasses if needed, sit under a good light and start a pickin'.

Now you have made me think about waxing my rasp to see if that will keep it from loading in the teeth voids.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Now you have made me think about waxing my rasp to see if that will keep it from loading in the teeth voids.

jtk
    I use chalk when filing aluminum to stop clogging the file
    might work on a rasp too
    Carpe Lignum

Pour rubbing alcohol on it and light it. Then brush the dross away.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for responding guys.

If it has been recommended to not use a wire brush to clean a metal working file (can dull the file), is it a good idea to use a SS brush on a rasp?
    David

Directly from the Auriou website:

"Use a stiff brush to clean the cutting teeth from time to time – a stiff toothbrush is perfect (but use an old one please!). A shoe brush will work but do not use a wire brush (contrary to what you may read elsewhere!)"

Blog Entries
    Thanks Phil. I ended up washing it with mineral spirits and scrubbing the teeth with a very fine stainless steel tooth brush configured brush. After your post, I will not put the wire brush on it again.

It came clean and sharp, but has some satin which I think is normal. The teeth feel sharp as ever. I am proud to have the rasp and will endeavor to keep it pristine.

Also, I wrap my files and rasps with aluminum foil to prevent rust. We have a rust problem in Galveston County Texas.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-29-2017 at 7:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    I use chalk when filing aluminum to stop clogging the file
    might work on a rasp too
    If the jury was made up of woodworkers you might find absolutely, positively no sympathy for what was done to you after using someone's Auriou rasp on aluminum.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Brooks View Post

Howdy Wallace and welcome to the Creek.

Though I might worry about the temper of my rasp being affected by this, my bigger worry would be the danger of fire in my shop. Maybe if I didn't leave shavings and saw dust all over the floor...

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If the jury was made up of woodworkers you might find absolutely, positively no sympathy for what was done to you after using someone's Auriou rasp on aluminum.

jtk
    Not to derail the thread, but your comment reminded me; I bought a U.S. made Nicholson rasp last year at a flea market. Only $1, and I had been looking for one for so long I grabbed it up without really looking at it closely. Looked clean, so I bought it.
    Tried to use it to shape a guitar neck I was building, but the thing wouldn't cut, just kind of bruised the wood. I put it in the bottom of my toolbox and haven't looked at it since.
    I took it out a couple days ago because I had watched a couple of Youtube videos on sharpening files and rasps with acid. So I dug it out and thought to give it a bit closer look. With magnification, I can see the teeth have been very aggressively worn away. I believe some numbskull actually used it on metal. It is completely trashed.
    I can't imagine what that was like for the guy using it, or what it sounded like. Very hard to believe someone was actually dumb enough to do that, but if I was a betting man, I'd lay money down on that really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Brooks View Post
    Dude, you should submit this to a magazine as a shop tip!

I mainly use a stiff bristle brush. If there is crud that will not dislodge, then I will soak it for a short while in alcohol (methylated spirits), and brush again.

Never use a metal, even brass, brush!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I took it out a couple days ago because I had watched a couple of Youtube videos on sharpening files and rasps with acid. So I dug it out and thought to give it a bit closer look. With magnification, I can see the teeth have been very aggressively worn away. I believe some numbskull actually used it on metal. It is completely trashed.
    I have bought a couple of larger files like this, if the price is right, even though it was obvious at the time of purchase of not being usable.

My thought is it is good hard metal if the teeth are ground off it can be used to make a different tool. Roy Underhill on his Woodright's Shop program made a cutter for a thread box out of a piece of an old file. He first heated it to soften the metal before working it and then reheating to harden.

It might be able to be worked into a burnishing tool for a card scraper.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I mainly use a stiff bristle brush. If there is crud that will not dislodge, then I will soak it for a short while in alcohol (methylated spirits), and brush again.

Never use a metal, even brass, brush!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    From Noel Logiers site;http://www.liogier-france.fr/f-a-q-h...-rasps?lang=en

3. How to clean and maintain my rasps ?

The best solution is to regularly use a brass brush. From time to time, before storing it in the hard case which is provided with the tool, it is always useful to oil it to protect it from rust, especially if you do not intend to use it for a long period of time. To wrap – each individually – in a oiled rag is also fine.
    Contrary to what I often hear, do NOT bathe it in acid! Sure acid attacks first the chips of all kinds that has remained at the bottom of the teeth. But even the hardened steel of the teeth risk to be attacked if failing to fully control the process! The edges of the teeth will be the first areas to suffer because they are by definition areas with the most contact surface with the acid, while having the least thickness of material

http://www.hand-stitched-rasp-riffle...duct&id_lang=4