Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean a rasp

Blog Entries
    Contrary to what I often hear, do NOT bathe it in acid!
    My thought on this is the wood is tightly driven into the pockets that were driven up to make the teeth. This might prevent any chemical from fully penetrating the wood. Another factor would be the wood itself. If it had any alkaline properties it would neutralize the acid.

A sharp pick and patience can dislodge compacted wood without even touching the tooth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    From Noel Logiers site;http://www.liogier-france.fr/f-a-q-h...-rasps?lang=en

3. How to clean and maintain my rasps ?

The best solution is to regularly use a brass brush. From time to time, before storing it in the hard case which is provided with the tool, it is always useful to oil it to protect it from rust, especially if you do not intend to use it for a long period of time. To wrap – each individually – in a oiled rag is also fine.
    Contrary to what I often hear, do NOT bathe it in acid! Sure acid attacks first the chips of all kinds that has remained at the bottom of the teeth. But even the hardened steel of the teeth risk to be attacked if failing to fully control the process! The edges of the teeth will be the first areas to suffer because they are by definition areas with the most contact surface with the acid, while having the least thickness of material

http://www.hand-stitched-rasp-riffle...duct&id_lang=4
    Noel just wants to sell you more rasps!

I would not use anything that will wear the teeth.

Regards from Perth

Derek