Thread: Oh, what to do, oh, what to do.

Oh, what to do, oh, what to do.

This may be considered off topic, I don't know but it has to do with heating and cooling the woodshop.

I have been given a 3 1/2 ton ground source heat pump for my shop's heating and cooling needs. The unit is the type that is supposed to be connected to well water to use as a heat sink instead of an outside evaporator unit. They are known to be very efficient, I have one just like it in my house that is 2 years old, and had another one in my previous house built in 1990.

So I know these units are good and really are very efficient. This unit I have been given is 23 years old. It does operate and was working when taken out. I can get well water into my shop by digging up the yard a little bit. I will have to "engineer" some kind of method of locating the unit because of the way it was originally built and installed. The factory that built the unit is located right here in town.

I'm just wondering about my sanity. The unit does have a new condensor (A) coil put in just over a year ago. It also has a new set of valves installed 3 years ago. Really about the only thing about the unit that is 23 is the compressor. I wonder if it would be worth all the trouble that it would be to make the installation.

What do ya'll think??????????
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Jim, I'm not familiar with heat pumps, though I've heard, in the right environment, they are one of the most efficient and economical to run. In the case of a "regular" AC unit, the compressor is typically the most expensive piece to replace. Given that, I would check on availability and cost of said replacement unit. If the compressor or an equal is available and not too cost-prohibitive, I'd say go for it. I'm certain a whole new unit of equal output would far exceed what yours "cost", even with a replacement compressor added into the equation. The associated labor and cost of installing it would be the same for old or new. Yeah, I think if you can verify the replacement compressor aspect, I'd be doing it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Well you are probably right John. Even the fan motor has been replaced just a few years ago. The compressors are available right here in town of course with the factory sitting right here close. (About 6 miles). I am leaning really hard towards putting it in. I went and picked it up yesterday afternoon and it is already taking up space so I might had as well to go ahead and hook it up.

They guy abandoned the unit mostly because of issues with his water source. He was using a sump pump in a lake and I would be using well water.

IMHO and lacking thorough knowledge of these things, logic tells me that you've pretty well got the logistics of it covered, Jim. I've known a couple folks with the heat pumps and they are quite happy with them. Seemingly, it appears that the problems encountered by the previous owner shouldn't affect your installation, so it should work just fine. I agree, I think you're correct in leaning toward that decision. Good luck with it and keep us posted on the progress!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jim,

I think the price was right. So why not install it. Even if you had to get the compressor replaced next year? It still wouldn't be as expensive as an entire new unit. Just price it. If the price is ok in case you have to replace it, then I'd go for it. You know as well as I do that AC in the shop around these parts is necessary.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Jim,

If you have the factory 5 minutes from the house, I would sure install this thing! Availability of parts should be a non issue and effecient heat these days is important!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I have a question. How many square ft is your shop? A3.5 ton unit should be about right for a 2000 squ ft home. If your shop is mebe half that but not well insulated you might be ok. Not wanting to be a wet blanket, just hate to see all that work spent if that hasn't been considered. Good luck,
    Jim

My shop is a 36 x 90 with rooms cut out and insulated from one another for a total shop open space of 1836 sq ft that will have to be heated and cooled. I have 6.5 inches in the walls and 3" under the sheet metal of the roof. It is relatively comfortable even in the hot days of summer with a good fan running. I think I'll be ok mostly because I won't try to keep the shop at home temps but more for a working environment. Thanks for the comments, I need to consider all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Jim,

If you have the factory 5 minutes from the house, I would sure install this thing! Availability of parts should be a non issue and effecient heat these days is important!
    Jeff, I was reading your post this morning and thought about just calling those good folks down at the plant where they are made. Lee told me to bring it down to the shop and they would give it a good looking over for me before I install it on them. He said he knew it needed to be re-wired and they would help me take care of that. Something about how they like to take a look at their old work there in the plant.

Thanks for the inspiration