Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

29 May 2017

Good Evening Everyone,
    Getting an early start to what's already been a busy holiday weekend. Been getting stuff done around the house, getting more of the bee hive box parts cut to include the interior frames. If anybody ever tells you that making those frames is quick and easy? Run the other way! Talk about a LOT of cutting and then assembly! Over 900 parts and I'm ready to call it quits. The good news is that my buddy and I have enough parts assembled to make 3 full bee hive boxes and he already has bees in both of his. I'm waiting until next year when I'll be more financially ready to purchase a swarm of bees.

We have out of state company visiting this week and I go back oncall next week. We cooked out hamburgers, turkey burgers, and hotdogs for Memorial Day as well as taking time out to remember all those that sacrificed so much for the U.S. country we call "home".

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this Memorial Day weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Got nothing done over the weekend, my youngest daughter graduated high school during the week so I had family in town and pretty much collapsed over the weekend once they were gone. Did get some new yard tools though and rebuilt a chainsaw, I'm taking down a tree in the front yard so that we can have a new roof put on the house, but other than that, it was a wasted weekend.

Made several mile stones;

Bench tops are planed sanded and finished for the Holzoppfel workbench I am building.

Brian and I got several bodies and necks glued up-cut out for guitars we are building.

All of the panels are now glued up for another mission style arts and crafts book case I am building-a reproduction Stickley #700.

Desk is now complete for my daughter who just graduated college, she did a lot of the actual woodworking-she decided to build a live edge table for our upstairs hallway, so she and I got a fabulous live edge piece (Elm) with a lot of interesting crotch grain. She should be starting on that this week.

I got three new drawers built for above mentioned daughters dresser, she starts her first 'real" job next week and needs a place to put her clothes-she had a lot of fun using the dovetail jig and helping me build them. I need to finish installing the soft close drawer slides and fronts tonight when I get home from work.

Hung a new wall cabinet in the shop and got more of my tools organized.

Arranged some additional side work so I can save more money for a planer upgrade.

Cleaned out my scrap wood pile and moved what I am not going to sue to the burn pile out back.

Considering my 'weekend' started Thursday, it was a busy one.

Thursday morning I was out spraying Roundup over the entire 1.5 acre yard in preparation of a new lawn. Then we were off to Madison, WI. Had supper with my niece and her son. Then Friday we were off to Platteville to help my fiancee's son move up to Madison. He graduated college and starts his new job next week.

Saturday I picked up my 6 year old grandson and we went to a nature preserve and hiked the trails for a couple of hours.

Sunday I took said grandson back home, then we went for a short motorcycle ride. After the ride we went down to a local watering hole to watch a band.

Yesterday I mowed a couple of strips that aren't getting planted. Then I cut up some pallets into bonfire wood. Then I was in the workshop milling some mullions and muntins for four cabinet doors.

And today I am glad to be back at work so I can relax a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Larson View Post
    Considering my 'weekend' started Thursday, it was a busy one.

Thursday morning I was out spraying Roundup over the entire 1.5 acre yard in preparation of a new lawn. Then we were off to Madison, WI. Had supper with my niece and her son. Then Friday we were off to Platteville to help my fiancee's son move up to Madison. He graduated college and starts his new job next week.

Saturday I picked up my 6 year old grandson and we went to a nature preserve and hiked the trails for a couple of hours.

Sunday I took said grandson back home, then we went for a short motorcycle ride. After the ride we went down to a local watering hole to watch a band.

Yesterday I mowed a couple of strips that aren't getting planted. Then I cut up some pallets into bonfire wood. Then I was in the workshop milling some mullions and muntins for four cabinet doors.

And today I am glad to be back at work so I can relax a bit.
    Your weekends are a lot like mine...woodworking slips in when it can where it can!

Travelled north to visit my brother who has stage 4 lung cancer and is receiving radiation treatments.

Not one of the best occasions however we had a great visit, surprised we didn't get kicked out of the hospital we were laughing so loud...Rod.

I finished the top of my sanding center. I had originally conceived it to have a Worksharp, Bench Grinder, and combination belt/disc sander on top. But as things evolved, I got a Triton oscillating spindle sander, and repurposed another bench grinder to have a wire wheel and flap sander on it. The top is 30"x36", and it is about 35" tall. The grinders were the project for this weekend, to mount them to a turntable on a lazy susan that will allow either to be used off the back corner.

I tried to get some photos off my phone, but it was acting up. I will see if I can post some others later today.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I spent most of Saturday and Sunday looking at new cars, frustrating to say the least. Now I know why it's been 8-9 years since I bought a car. So due to my frustration, I decided to pull nails on some boards I have reclaimed and hope to turn into a workbench.

Nearly finished with my cedar fence project. I have a bunch of 1x6 cedar cutoffs about 20-24" in length and I'm trying to figure out a project to utilize the "scrap".

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Your weekends are a lot like mine...woodworking slips in when it can where it can!

I hear you on that. But the last couple of weekends were a bit different with moving the kids. And I hadn't seen my grandson for a while.

I try to make up for it by getting out to the workshop during the week.

I probably was a "bad boy" this weekend doing a lot of the stuff I did only a few days after my wrist surgery, but what the heck...stuff needed to get done. Like mowing the lawn, planting a few more hot pepper plants and some flowers, cooking and making a minor piece of beekeeping woodenware for Professor Dr. SWMBO in the shop. The surgeon probably would beat me, but the OT confided that I was way ahead of most folks with finger mobility and that was probably because...snicker...I was using them. LOL.

While Monday was a holiday, I had to travel to Fairfax VA for a customer meeting on Tuesday. In that case, I was a "good boy" and coopted my younger daughter to do the driving in exchange for a day off school (the last two weeks of her senior year is, um...so exciting), a stay in a hotel, good food, another PSU tee shirt and the opportunity to entertain her by being a country music DJ in her car while she "had words" about a lot of the other drivers on the road. "Hey flippin' TURN SIGNAL Buddy! You're driving a Prius, for gosh sake! You're supposed to be smart!" and so on. She deserves a bumper sticker that says, "I survived the DC Beltway and didn't kill anyone else for their bad driving."
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I She deserves a bumper sticker that says, "I survived the DC Beltway and didn't kill anyone else for their bad driving."
    As a northern VA resident, I can completely relate to that sentiment! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    As a northern VA resident, I can completely relate to that sentiment! :-)
    Yea, me too, given my "office" (briefing center) is in Fair Lakes and I'm down there several times a month dealing with the traffic. Trivia...Professor Dr. SWMBO grew up in Falls Church just "inside the beltway".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Put in a dog door and puppy run. Used the scraps to build a fence around the AC unit and painted the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Serino View Post
    Put in a dog door and puppy run. Used the scraps to build a fence around the AC unit and painted the kitchen.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to do our dog door. The door itself isn't a problem, but there's a metal security/screen door on the outside, so having a dog door doesn't do a bit of good so long as that door is closed, which it always is. Still haven't figured out a solution.