Thread: Finish for large ash bookcase

Finish for large ash bookcase

I'm making a large bookcase out of ash that will be up against a 14' living room wall. The ash will be stained with a dark walnut oil based stain. I'm looking for advice on topcoat. I'd like it to be protective enough that it won't show too much wear over time. They will mostly be used for books, so low traffic. Low direct sun. I think I'd prefer an aerosol option due to how many pieces there are. Low odor would be nice but not a deal breaker. I have a well ventilated shop here in Denver with warm, dry temps .

Here are my top contenders so far (all spray, semi-gloss):

Water-based poly
    Water-based clear acrylic (polycrylic?)
    Nitro Def lacquer
    Oil-based poly

Thoughts? Better options? Thanks.

I just finished a makeup vanity for my daughter. I used Ppg Breakthrough waterborne lacquer. This was my first attempt at spraying lacquer and it turned out great. Low odor and fast drying time. I live in a very humid part of the country and was really surprised at how fast it dried to the touch. I realize that this is not an aerosol, but if you have a hvlp gun, this might be an option.

If you're going to spray, water borne is the safest to use in a home shop environment. There are so many options around product...many discussions here. Most of them will be just fine for the type of project you intend to finish. Personally, I use Target Coatings EM6000 for this kind of thing. Do note that since you are using an oil based stain, you'll need to either let it cure fully (30+ days) before top coating with the water borne product or you'll need to use a barrier coat between it and your water borne top coat...most of us use de-waxed shellac for that purpose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks. How long would you recommend between the oil based stain and the dewaxed shellac? Would a couple days be enough?

Next day for the de-waxed shellac is fine. (I've sometimes even put shellac on after oiling a piece in just a few hours, but...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...